tsouri

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.prophotostudio.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys

I am fairly new so excuse my ignorance..

I have a Nikon 7200 and using 18-105mm lens 67mm, And using a tripod.

I am trying to get a 30-40 sec picture UNDER M(Manual) Setting, BULB and F4.5

ISO-150. So After successfully getting nice Long exposure images during nighttime, i wanted to also create some water and cloud movement with long exposure during daytime, I realized it's not that easy! So i search on the internet why my images comes out blank white and i found that i need ND 10 stops filter to lower the light exposure. I purchased 67mm ND1000 Filter Neutral Density ND 1000 67 10 Stop Optical Glass to help reduce the overexposed pictures i had.

I took this morning few pictures with same setting (BULB and F4.5

ISO-150-200) and realized it helped but the image is still overexposed and way to much light.

i switched the Auto WB to DAYTIME White balance, Still No Good.

I'm lost and not sure what to do :( CAN ANYBODY PLEASE ADVISE?

Many thanks for your time.

Firstly close your aperture down to f11 or f16. Work out your shot time and focus your shot at iso100 without filter. Put camera in manual focus so focus doesn't move. Put on filter.Add 10 stops time to your exposure and take shot

Sorry, Like i said i am a nooby :0
What do u mean "Add 10 stops time to your exposure and take shot" ?

Every time you double your time you add a stop of light. Example if you take a shot outside and it was at f8, iso 100 and 1/250 second. If you then took shot same way but at 1/125 sec, you have double your time, adding a stop of light to your exposure, so if your original shot was ok at 1/250 sec your shot at 1/125 is one stop over exposed.

You'll have to read up about the link between time, aperture and iso, but to get you going for this shot do what I said above and the time the camera gives without the filter, double this 10 times to get your time, better still Google 10 stop exposure times and you'll get a chart. For example if your original shot without filter was 1/1000 sec, with 10 stop you double this 10 times, 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60,1/30,1/15,1/8,1/4,1/2, 1 full second

1 sec is your time with filter. If your original time was 1/30 sec, your time with filter would be approx 32 secs and so on

Last edited:
Every time you double your time you add a stop of light. Example if you take a shot outside and it was at f8, iso 100 and 1/250 second. If you then took shot same way but at 1/125 sec, you have double your time, adding a stop of light to your exposure, so if your original shot was ok at 1/250 sec your shot at 1/125 is one stop over exposed.

You'll have to read up about the link between time, aperture and iso, but to get you going for this shot do what I said above and the time the camera gives without the filter, double this 10 times to get your time, better still Google 10 stop exposure times and you'll get a chart. For example if your original shot without filter was 1/1000 sec, with 20 stop you double this 10 times, 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60,1/30,1/15,1/8,1/4,1/2, 1 full second

1 sec is your time with filter. If your original time was 1/30 sec, your time with filter would be approx 32 secs and so on
Thanks alot for the detailed answer, I will try it soon and let u know :)

B Bulb keeps the shutter open until you manually shut it.

Alan has an excellent point. You say in your first post you're shooting in bulb and as a result the shutter will stay open.......forever until you close it. You bet it will over expose.

When I do this with a 10 stop I just make my settings as always using the light meter in the camera. Set your aperture and adjust shutter according to your meter.

Guys
I tried what jaomul suggested and the max Time with the shutter open and image been not over exposed was 4" with F14 100 ISO over 4 seconds image become over exposed, how do I get to the point I shoot 30 seconds without overexposed? I tried everything and almost every combination with no success :(

Without your filter, what was the settings for good exposure?

File uploaded with no filter 1/1600 iso 100 F11 and also with filter F18 4" 100 ISO (much Brighter photo)

Attachments

• DSC_2622.jpg
    DSC_2622.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 199
  • 4secondexp.jpg
    4secondexp.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
File uploaded with no filter 1/1600 iso 100 F11 and also with filter F18 4" 100 ISO (much Brighter photo)

For your question: "Without your filter, what was the settings for good exposure?" 1/1600 iso 100 F11

Seems strange that daylight scene would require 1/1600, ISO 100, f/11 with no filter on the camera.

Seems strange that daylight scene would require 1/1600, ISO 100, f/11 with no filter on the camera.
Indeed, it really goes against the "Sunny 16" rule, which says that, in daylight, the "correct" exposure is at f/16, and 1/ISO. So basically, if you set the ISO to 100, you should get good exposure at f/16 and 1/100 sec. shutter speed when no filter is used. The f/14, 1/1600 and ISO 100 settings suggest sunlight is somehow brighter in your area :anonymous:

Are you sure you're at iso 100. A normal sunny day f11 iso 100 is usually about 1/250 sec I think approx.

You went from f11 to f18. This is ok but complicated the maths.

1/1600 sec at f11 iso 100 without filter is approx 1/2 sec with 10 stop filter. F11 to f18 is a little over a stop again, so your shot should have been approx 1.2 seconds with filter to be exposed like first one without filter. 4 secs as you saw over exposed it.

I'm still dodgy as to being at iso 100. Are you def it's not in auto iso throwing things. If for example it's as I said with similar sunny day settings of f11 1/250 and iso 100, the ten stop should give you 4 sec exposure. If you want longer you can close you aperture to f22, or add another filter, or better still take this type of shot when the light is less, early morning or later evening

Most reactions

Back