Long Exposure during Daytime issues

Guys
I tried what jaomul suggested and the max Time with the shutter open and image been not over exposed was 4" with F14 100 ISO over 4 seconds image become over exposed, how do I get to the point I shoot 30 seconds without overexposed? I tried everything and almost every combination with no success :(

You need either more filters (ie stacked together) or an even darker one. Or shoot earlier/later in the day at dawn or dusk.

Are you sure you're at iso 100. A normal sunny day f11 iso 100 is usually about 1/250 sec I think approx.

You went from f11 to f18. This is ok but complicated the maths.

1/1600 sec at f11 iso 100 without filter is approx 1/2 sec with 10 stop filter. F11 to f18 is a little over a stop again, so your shot should have been approx 1.2 seconds with filter to be exposed like first one without filter. 4 secs as you saw over exposed it.

I'm still dodgy as to being at iso 100. Are you def it's not in auto iso throwing things. If for example it's as I said with similar sunny day settings of f11 1/250 and iso 100, the ten stop should give you 4 sec exposure. If you want longer you can close you aperture to f22, or add another filter, or better still take this type of shot when the light is less, early morning or later evening
Im positive its 100 ISO, maybe like you suggested I shouldn't try to take the shot at 2pm but earlier or later when it's not crazy bright

Guys
I tried what jaomul suggested and the max Time with the shutter open and image been not over exposed was 4" with F14 100 ISO over 4 seconds image become over exposed, how do I get to the point I shoot 30 seconds without overexposed? I tried everything and almost every combination with no success :(

You need either more filters (ie stacked together) or an even darker one. Or shoot earlier/later in the day at dawn or dusk.
Is there a darker filter then 10 stops?

Guys

Can you provide a link to the exact filter you have?

Guys

Can you provide a link to the exact filter you have?
YES OF COURSE : ICE 67mm ND1000 Filter Neutral Density ND 1000 67 10 Stop Optical Glass Amazon.com ICE 67mm ND1000 Filter Neutral Density ND 1000 67 10 Stop Optical Glass Camera Lens Neutral Density Filters Camera Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can stack filters and add their stops. If you add a 3 stop to that 10 you'll get 13 for example. I'm not aware of a faster than ten stop. You'd really be better picking a time of less light. Every filter you add degrades image quality a bit

There isn't any way a daylight exposure at ISO 100 is 1/1600 second at f:11, unless you're looking right at the sun. I know that's what the EXIF data says in the image you uploaded, but those settings should have produced a severely underexposed image, almost 4 stops too dark.

When I download the images and examine the properties, I see 1/1600 f:11 for the unfiltered, and 4 seconds at f:20 for the filters. Well, the filtered image WILL be brighter. You've increased your exposure 12 stops, not 10. (Shutter speed increased about 12-2/3 stops, aperture closed down 2/3.)

Even given the weirdness of such fast shutter speeds, the filtered image was not compensated correctly for the 10-stop ND filter. It may be that you shouldn't be trusting the meter in the camera with the filter, but just add the 10 stops to the shutter speed manually.

A Stop
A stop is a fundamental photography concept.

A 'stop' is a doubling (2x) or a halving (0.5x) of the amount of light that reaches the recording media, be it film or an electronic sensor.
A stop change in exposure can apply to shutter speed, lens aperture, and/or ISO.

Since exposure is a triad of adjustments (shutter speed, ISO, lens aperture) you can change 1, 2 or all 3 of the triad settings.

If you want 1 more stop of exposure (brighter) you can adjust just one of the 3 by 1 more stop.
Or, you can change 2 of the 3 by 1/2 more stop each for a net gain of 1 stop of exposure.
Or, you can adjust all 3 by 1/3 more stop for a net gain of 1 stop of exposure.

You can also change the triad of settings and have no change in the exposure.
If you change 1 of the 3 settings by 1 stop more exposure and change a 2nd setting by 1 stop less exposure the net change is zero.

Suppose you subtracted a stop of shutter speed to help stop subject motion, you could add a stop of lens aperture to keep the exposure the same. However, adding a stop of aperture will also affect the total DoF by a small amount. So, if you don't want the DoF to change you would add a stop of ISO instead, however, adding a stop of ISO will increase by some amount the image noise in the photo.

Note: DSLR cameras are set by default to adjust the exposure settings in 1/3 stop increments.
Most DSLR cameras let you change that to 1/2 stop or 1 stop increments.
However, the advantage of 1/3 stop step increments is more precise control of exposure.

There isn't any way a daylight exposure at ISO 100 is 1/1600 second at f:11, unless you're looking right at the sun. I know that's what the EXIF data says in the image you uploaded, but those settings should have produced a severely underexposed image, almost 4 stops too dark.

When I download the images and examine the properties, I see 1/1600 f:11 for the unfiltered, and 4 seconds at f:20 for the filters. Well, the filtered image WILL be brighter. You've increased your exposure 12 stops, not 10. (Shutter speed increased about 12-2/3 stops, aperture closed down 2/3.)

Even given the weirdness of such fast shutter speeds, the filtered image was not compensated correctly for the 10-stop ND filter. It may be that you shouldn't be trusting the meter in the camera with the filter, but just add the 10 stops to the shutter speed manually.
Maybe i need to reset the camera? i will look into it. thanks a lot. PS. Like u saw in the image, i am not looking directly into the sun :)

EXIF data showed compensation 0.

What you need my friend is a Neutral Density filter, kinda like sunglasses for your lens. A ND 10 filter would really help get those daytime shutter speeds longer. Another benefit, what if you want to shoot a wide aperture for some nice Bokeh? A ND filter can help tame the brightness!

Sent by philsphoto.com from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back