long exposure problem

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mattfacer.com
Hey,

I tried to do a 3 second exposure shot on the water fall, but the whole thing has been over exposed? I've put an original shot, then the 3 second shot below.... any tips?!

thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

it could be the camera? I dont know, its quite old and doesnt have an automatic shutter speed control.. I have to set it to "B" mode then press and hold the shutter open...

it was shot using a long lens (80-200mm one) if that might have had something to do with it? The lens was at 80mm at the time.....

is the aperture the numbers around the edge of the lens (eg 32, 22, 16, 11, 8 etc) ?

Ps. Sorry for my ignorance, learner in progress!!

I took this picture on a cloudy day so that helped. But I had a filter that took it down almost 6 stops. My aperature only goes to 8 so thats why I had to use filters with so many stops. But the slower you can take the picture the better.

46722316.jpg

I saw that photo on your website earlier actually - its absolutely stunning!

What sort of filter do I get then? will Jessops know what I am talking about if I go in and say I need a filter to take down the stops??

thanks for the help/advice guys!

Before you go out and buy a new filter for the shot, you second post made me want to know a little information. Can you control your shutter speed manually? The reason I ask is because I noticed you said you used B for this shot. It can be really hard to get an accurate exposure using B. If you can control the shutter speed, I'd say just set the aperture to as big a number as possible and try the shots like that. As long as you aren't shooting in direct sunlight, you should be able to get a shutter speed that is at least low enough to warrant a tripod.

If that doesn't work out for you the filter you'd be looking to get would be Neutral Density filter. I'd recommend a 4 or 5 at least

hey tr0gd0o0r - the only way I can control the shutter speed is manually, by setting the camera to "B" mode and holding the button down.
It works pretty well at night - for light shots etc, but in the day it "naffs up" !!

It was a very sunny day when I took those pictures - so that is the problem as you suggested.

Will look in to getting a filter - does it just screw on the end of the lens?

yeah, it just screws on to the end of the lens. There are lots of different sizes, so make sure you get the right size for your lens. It should say somewhere near the end of the lens.

Most reactions

Back