Long Exposure

Yeah, you really need to be upwards of 5-10 seconds to start really getting that look. A lot of the "silky water" pictures you see will be 30-second exposures, or even longer.

This is not totally correct. Silky water looks best at around 1-5 seconds in my experience. I like 2 seconds. You can usually achieve this in muted light with just a polarizer. Longer exposures tend to cause blown out areas where water turbulence is highest.

Depending on the waterfall you can get it at just fractions of a second, really. I have a waterfall shot recently on my flickr that has a pretty nice smoothing effect at 1/6 second, handheld. I don't take my tripod when I'm hiking with my kids, and only recently bought a monopod to attempt to add a couple more stops to my handholding.

Thanks guys I will have to try it again! I wanted to take some shots in Chicago but forgot my tripod :(

I have often thought that if you do not have the ND filters to hand, then an alternative would be to take a number of shots st the slowest speed, then merge/average them in post-processing. I've never tried it though.

Alright, so my usual shows for tonight weren't on... SO I had time to play with some "edits" I am really into this long exposure look and looked up how to edit a photo as if it was taken that way... This isn't nearly as good as I can make it (little pieces shown, etc) but its a start...

What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• bigmacsunsetBlurSmall.jpg
    bigmacsunsetBlurSmall.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 96
Alright, so my usual shows for tonight weren't on... SO I had time to play with some "edits" I am really into this long exposure look and looked up how to edit a photo as if it was taken that way... This isn't nearly as good as I can make it (little pieces shown, etc) but its a start...

What do ya'll think?

For me, the biggest issue is a lack of subject. Sure, the bridge is there, but it seems cast off to the side to be unnoticed. Landscape images very often need a foreground element to catch the viewers eye, which this photo lacks. Processing wise it seems good, if maybe a bit yellow/orange. But given that it looks like shortly after sunset, that hue is to be expected.

Jake

Another +1 on the Cokin filters. Nice for the price.

What do ya'll think?

For me, the biggest issue is a lack of subject. Sure, the bridge is there, but it seems cast off to the side to be unnoticed. Landscape images very often need a foreground element to catch the viewers eye, which this photo lacks. Processing wise it seems good, if maybe a bit yellow/orange. But given that it looks like shortly after sunset, that hue is to be expected.

Jake

Clearly you've never taken part in a case race. [emoji16]

What do ya'll think?

Jake

Yeah at the time it was the only spot that I could actually spot the bridge, there were SO many people that night. As for the yellow/orange, yes that is from just after sunset.

Case race?

What do ya'll think?

Jake

Yeah at the time it was the only spot that I could actually spot the bridge, there were SO many people that night. As for the yellow/orange, yes that is from just after sunset.

Case race?

Two teams. One or two per team. 2 cases of beer. First to finish wins.

Most reactions

Back