Long exposures burning the sensor.

You could just call Canon tech support and ask them this question.
It'll probably be safer that way. But if you're a maverick and willing to push your toy, please report
:thumbsup:

You're assuming that you'll call tech support you'll end up with an engineer and not some dork behind a helpdesk in New Delhi.

Search this very forum and you'll find cases of people who have been told some very stupid things from a helpdesk.

It's hard enough to speak to an engineer of an engineering company when you're a multi-million dollar client of theirs, good luck :)

Does anyone know why (or, indeed, if) the camera manufacturers don't do the obvious and include a temperature sensor that will shut down the exposure if the sensor temperature nears critical?

A lot of times you have problems early in the life of a technology and the danger enters folk-law even though the engineers have found and implemented a way to prevent the danger years back.

Take as a prime example the amount of contradictory nonsense talked about batteries of various types.

One reason is they probably get too few failures to even care. Many camera models wouldn't last more than half an hour to an hour battery wise let alone doing the exposure. And then that's not something the camera is capable of. To get more than 30 seconds on any camera I believe you need to buy a remote.

I don't think it makes economic sense to include the extra part and programming in every camera when far less than 0.1% of them would fail due to this "issue" if it is still in fact an issue. I mean it's not exactly a big problem, I haven't seen anyone on this board who has first hand experience, I have second hand experience with a 350D which isn't a new camera either, and the rest is just talk.

You're assuming that you'll call tech support you'll end up with an engineer and not some dork behind a helpdesk in New Delhi.
Not assuming, but hoping... I had to contact Nikon and Canon tech support in the past and surprisingly we actually had a fluent conversation rather then hearing "one moment sir, let me look it up"

Not assuming, but hoping... I had to contact Nikon and Canon tech support in the past and surprisingly we actually had a fluent conversation rather then hearing "one moment sir, let me look it up"

I wonder if they route P&S enquiries to a different department to enquiries about top of the range DSLR's.

I've done 5 minute to 1 hour long exposures off my D700 and they've been great, and the camera still works awesome too! The hour one one was noisy as hell and ran my battery down, but it still worked. I don't know if i'd do another hour long shot though. 30-45 minutes might be tops. 15 minutes though...cake.

dsc6934edit.jpg

My D70 has trouble, I can't do a 5 minute exposure without Long Exposure NR, and that's about as long as i'd want to go too on that body.

Funny enough I saw a post on some hacking forms where someone built a peltier cooling unit for his camera. He does cool 3 hour exposures of the sky using image stacking. 30x5min exposures with a few second gaps between each. The peltier unit cools the camera down to negative temperatures and dramatically increases his signal to noise ratio too.

A novel idea that may work even better on metal bodies. If I had a telescope I'd be all over that hack :)

Link please? I might be able to scrounge a telescope from somewhere...*ponders* In any case I want it in my bookmarks for later.

Yestarday I was doing star trails with 5 minute exposures for 1 hour and 10 minutes with 5 sec. break in between. that was my second star trail and so far nor problems with my XSI.

Too be honest I've never heard of this, but if you shooting at night (it's naturally cooler right ? ) But in a hot summer day with filters and a slow aperture ? Must be a cannon thing... :hug::

Too be honest I've never heard of this, but if you shooting at night (it's naturally cooler right ? ) But in a hot summer day with filters and a slow aperture ? Must be a cannon thing... :hug::
Do you mean the kind that go BOOM and launch a projectile? Or, you just have poor spelling and proofreading skills? ;) Canon :mrgreen:

Define cooler. It often has 25 degrees C here during the night. :p Remember this is a story from Australia. So your mileage probably varies a lot if you live in Alaska :)

lol guys. Seriously never heard of this before, never happened to me or anyone I know, guess I'll keep asking though.

Most reactions

Back