Long Exposures by the Sea

jaharris1001

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
it was completely dark by this point, only a street light behind me to illuminate the rocks was available. I had walked out on these rocks to get this view, the tide was coming in rather quick by this point, it was time to get off these rocks as they were getting wet and slippery, I didnt want to risk slipping and falling with my camera :mrgreen: wasnt sure which one I liked better compositionally, elements in both that I liked :mrgreen:

exposed for 158 seconds
19-1.jpg

exposed for 261 seconds
20.jpg

Very cool. I don't know which I like the best...both are great.

Question though. How is it that the exposure looks pretty much the same in both photos and both photos had f5.6 and ISO100 but one had a shutter open more than a minute and a half longer....shouldn't the longer exposure be more brightly exposed?

It must have been super dark to not overexpose with 4-5 minute exposures....very cool.

I like the "crocodile" in the first (yes, there is that one rock which looks like one to me, I detect one big nose/nostril there, can you see it, too?).

Ah, I wish I had a remote cable or infrared thingy for the shutter (assuming the infrared thingies allow for bulb exposure, too), so I could expose for longer than the maximum 30 seconds. Only once did I try to do "bulb", holding my finger onto the shutter for all that time, but camera shake is too likely to occur...).

Question though. How is it that the exposure looks pretty much the same in both photos and both photos had f5.6 and ISO100 but one had a shutter open more than a minute and a half longer....shouldn't the longer exposure be more brightly exposed?

It must have been super dark to not overexpose with 4-5 minute exposures....very cool.
yes, it was completely dark by this time, to answer your question, both these were shot in RAW format and the second was taken about 15 minutes later, dont know if it was any darker or not, but it was probably how I adjusted the images in camera raw and photoshop that made them close, raw is so versatile that way,, thanks for commenting :mrgreen:

Nice shots.
Thanks for commenting :mrgreen:

I like the "crocodile" in the first (yes, there is that one rock which looks like one to me, I detect one big nose/nostril there, can you see it, too?).

Ah, I wish I had a remote cable or infrared thingy for the shutter (assuming the infrared thingies allow for bulb exposure, too), so I could expose for longer than the maximum 30 seconds. Only once did I try to do "bulb", holding my finger onto the shutter for all that time, but camera shake is too likely to occur...).
Yes,, I see the crocodile now that you mentioned it :mrgreen: you should get a cable release, they are VERY inexpensive and you can lock down for bulb settings, well worth the couple of bucks, I dont know that you need to go the extra expense for the non-cable version though, thanks for commenting once again :mrgreen:

Can't argue with the above, really. Of all your shots that I've seen here, these are your best in my opinion –and I liked all the others quite a bit.

thanks again for the comments Federico and polymoog

They are both beautiful, though I like no. 2 better because there is more blue in the sky. Great job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back