Long exposures

tommac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I have an EOS 500D and its maximum shutter speed is 30 seconds or Bulb.
I want to start taking some long exposure shots and If i'm right bulb only opens the shutter as long as my finger is on the trigger which won't work as the camera will be tripod mounted and I'll need to keep it still. I need to get some kind of remore that will let me do exposures of up to an hour.
How can I achieve this and is it even achievable with my 500D.

Thanks in advance

Tom Mac

Hi All,

I have an EOS 500D and its maximum shutter speed is 30 seconds or Bulb.
I want to start taking some long exposure shots and If i'm right bulb only opens the shutter as long as my finger is on the trigger which won't work as the camera will be tripod mounted and I'll need to keep it still. I need to get some kind of remore that will let me do exposures of up to an hour.
How can I achieve this and is it even achievable with my 500D.

Thanks in advance

Tom Mac

I bought a remote shutter release that has a button lock on it. Press and slide the button and it will hold the shutter until you unlock the button

Most (all?) wired remotes will work like that. ^^^

Wireless remotes are press once to open, press again to close while in bulb.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the distance on a wireless?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great tutorial! I'm going to try this out tonight:)

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the distance on a wireless?

I don't know the 'spec', but from personal experience I will say 30 feet indoors, 20 feet outdoors. The walls seem to help the IR light from the remote travel a little farther by bouncing around. Outside there is nothing for it to bounce off of.

The main problem with wireless remotes is that they have to be pointed at the front of the camera. Not an issue when you're doing self portraits or pictures of the family - but it can be annoying when the camera is on a tripod and you're standing behind it.

Do digitals have a screw thread on the shuuter button the way film cameras do (did)? If yes, then as was mentioned a manual shutter release is cheap and easy to use. It works great for being close to the camera.

Do digitals have a screw thread on the shuuter button the way film cameras do (did)? If yes, then as was mentioned a manual shutter release is cheap and easy to use. It works great for being close to the camera.

All electronic, it plugs into the side of the camera.

I didn't realize that. Great news.
I'll search for one now. Any reccomendation?

I bought a no name wired remote from eBay for $6.00, works great. Press the button half way, the camera auto focuses, press it the rest of the way, it fires the shutter.

See my response above (unless you already did and are looking for different advice). It has pretty good range too.

Most reactions

Back