long exposures?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jemmy, Jun 11, 2006.

1. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

HI all, yesterday i had a very experienced pro photographer come to my home for a little crash course on my camera... it was fantastic and i learnt much more!! hooray!! as well, he taught me a few little things including getting the effect of silky/cotton-wool waves/water, by doing a long exposure - 30sec... Obviously he said i would need a tripod but then last night i read in a photog mag that an alternative to the tripod is a small bag filled with rice/sand and to balance the camera into this?..... sounds very weird to me...but wondered if any of you have tried/heard of this?? Will be getting a tripod soonish but keen to try this technique NOW!! xx PS. he also suggested buying a tripod around the $100aus. mark..... any suggestions for a good brand or things to look for in the tripod world?? xx thanks:heart:

2. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

Bean bags are kind of famous tripod alternative. I haven't used them myself but I have heard about them many times. Try google. I did and found this page on Camerapedia.org. I used to resist using a tripod but after getting one any shot I can take with it I will. Funny thing if your out in public with a tripod a lot people automatically assume you are a professional.

3. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    See the 'Tripod options' thread in the Equipment & Services section of this Forum.

4. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

Anything which renders the camera motionless and absorbs outside vibration will work.

I've used rocks, fenceposts, car hoods, vicegrips with a 1/4 X 20 screw in the end, and a number of other things. A tripod is awesome in that you are always ASSURED of having a stable platform.

As a beginner however I would suggest that you save up for a ggood tripod and begin with a good monopod,

My $0.02, YMMV.

LWW

5. Soocom1

Soocom1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not only do I shoot photography, I also target shoot. Sandbags and as mentioned above, anything to immobilize the camera will work.
    This is where I would recommend either going to a sporting goods store, or even e-bay and looking up shooters bean bag. They are typically made with cordura nylon, plastic pellets, and can come in a variety of sizes AND weights. You may want to look into that direction.

6. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Hi Jemmy.
    Go to Ebay, australia. Tripods then search for CAMPOD and "voila" you'll find what you're looking for. I think they are about $24 [aus]
    Philip.

7. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I actually never thought of using a sand bag even though long range rifle shooters use them all the time at the range. Only deficit they have is not being able to adjust the height. Anything that is stationary could be used but I would couple it with a delayed or remote shutter.

8. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They even make bean bags with a camera mount screw built right in. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009UTQ3/102-3871734-9168949?v=glance&n=502394"]See Here[/ame]

A regular bean bag can be really helpful to position/support the lens while the camera sits on something flat.

As mentioned, a remote release is helpful when shooting with slow shutter speeds. Or you can just use the self timer...anything that allows you to fire the camera without toughing it.

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bean bags are hard to find these days. Take a sock fill it the foot part about 2/3 full of bean or dried rice. You want it empty enough to mold to the camera lens. Take a rubber band and at the point where the sock switches to the leg part wrap the rubber band around very tight.. then fold the leg over the foot and you have a nice soft bean bag. Support the lens on it and sit or hold the camera body while making a picture. I have sat them on cars for as long as an hour (weather permitting).

I have two red ones (a pair of sock bags as i were) I keep one in the studio and one in the car in the glove box.

11. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

Cool, I do also. Nobody wants to believe that large parts of the skill sets crossover.

LWW

12. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Thanks heaps guys!! xx