Long length Time-Lapse

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by steeviemac, Jun 2, 2008.

1. steeviemac

steeviemac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been asked to create a 1 image per day, 5 year time lapse of a large construction project. I have an idea of how and where to fasten a camera but don't know how to set up the shutter to release every day at the same time. I can but a new camera for this purpose. Any ideas?

many thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Many digital cameras can be remotely controlled with accompanying software. Canon, for example, has a program called 'Canon Remote Capture'.

I believe that with this software, you could set up an interval for time lapse photography.

You would, of course, need to have the camera tethered to a computer.

3. steeviemac

steeviemac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply. I hope there's a solution out there that doesn't require trying up a computer for five years. :)

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seeing as it's only one photo per day, I would think that the easiest solution would be to just manually take the photo.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How necessary is the one per day? I would think that one a week would be just a good

This project will probably be harder then you might think. I think you might also want to do it via wireless wecam somehow

6. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Agreed. Unless the location is far from where you live or work.

7. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

yea this seems like a pain. There better be some huge incentive for doing it. And everyday? That doesn't sound right at all, why not once a week as someone said. That seems much more practical, and I too think, why not just take it by hand, in the same spot, so you don't have to mess with automatic, wireless stuff, just seems pointless. Tehre is no way I'd do that, there everyday, to take a photo of the same thing...wow

8. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Played back at full NTSC speed, 1 shot per day for 5 years will play back in almost exactly 1 minute.

That said, Your best bet is probably a webcam or a motion camera. A SONY PD-150 has the ability to record for X seconds every X minutes. I'm not sure if that is a good 5 year solution (especially since they are still running between 1 and 2 grand). For that money you can get a crappy PC/laptop and $100 web cam to do your work.

9. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

You will need 2 identical cameras at least! The second, fully charged and thoroughly tested at all times, stored carefully near the main camera, and ready for action at the flick of the switch, for backup if numero uno packs up.

This is a long term project. So system reliability and redundancy is a big deal!

10. steeviemac

steeviemac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This sounds like the way to go but I'm worried about image quality. Can anyone recommend a high quality web cam?

many thanks,

11. skid2964

skid2964 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My Canon S3 IS has a menu option that allows me to choose how many pictures to take and how much time between each picture (Intervalometer option). This would work for the purpose you mention.

You could select 1440 minutes as the interval and 1825 as the quantity. (connect the camera to wall outlet power) Seems like you might need a good UV filter also!

The S3 seems like a good choice because it is relatively inexpensive yet takes very acceptable photos. You could buy two or three as backup units. It even has a wide screen format!

12. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit