long night exposure of the creepy/cool house next door

nakedyak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Whew. long title. It wasn't that cold last night, so i drug (dragged?) my gear outside and set up in the dark. Since i'm basically just guessing with the exposure times and stuff, i had to experiment a while. When we are talking about exposure times ranging from 2-4 minutes to 25 minutes, you can't really experiment too much at 2:30am :confused:

So anyways, tried a 25 minute exposure at f8 and it was a little over exposed, but these minute and minute and a half exposures at f4 or f4.5 worked out pretty well i think :) let me know what you think! They aren't the same picture by the way, just very similar.

P.S. Right after i took these, a huge white dog that i've never seen ran around the side of the house and barked really loudly at me. It scared the crap out of me, and i ran inside. wow

original.jpg

i dont think i like this one as much, but some people might like it more in color. this one was 163 seconds at f4.0, ISO 100 at 10mm

original.jpg

Those are fantastic! In high school I turned myself into a night owl because of night photography. This makes me want to do it all again.

That colour version has an additional element of creepiness to it, I think, for the colours are so "off" ... not meaning that in a negative way at all for this one here, quite to the contrary.

I do like the black and white one for a reason, it is so nicely clear and the sky is so special in that one.

There is the same pattern on the sky in the colour version - no: colour photo, since the two are not the same - but it is a lot less obvious and other things stand out more. Such as that creepy (to my mind) greenish yellow of the light that illuminated the scene (probably a lot less brightly for the eyes, right?).

These shots are so cool! I love them! How do you take shots w/ such long exposures? I know that sounds like a stupid question. When I take shots even at a super small aperature they would come out exposed correctly or slighty under exposed at 30 seconds. How do you manage this 25 minute stuff? I think I'll start a thread in the general Q&A for some more lengthy explanations.

I like the B&W, without noticeing the stars in the colour it could be a weird sunset image, and that means it losing some spookiness.

The B&W with the light coming over the roof is excellent, looks like you spent a massive amount of money on back lighting it!!

Thanks guys. Its actually clouds coming over the roof in the BW version, they were moving pretty fast that night. To get a 100 sec exposure, you need a remote shutter release or a cable release or a remote, but some way to trigger the shutter in "bulb" mode and keep it pressed down for a long time without holding your finger on the camera. Also, this scene was pretty dark, 30 seconds at f4 would mean i would have had to use ISO 400 at least.

I ust love that BW photo. Those clouds sure look like back lighting to me!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back