Long range zooms... help me choose!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Solthar, May 19, 2008.

1. Solthar

Solthar TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've had my Canon 30d for a bit now, and have fallen in love with it :hail:. When I picked it up, I also grabbed a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, since Ilove landscapes. A damn fine lens, too!

Now my next issue is that I'm in need of a telephoto zoom lens, preferably something that hits ~400 range. Something suitable for almost everything from Photographing the local airshow, to wildlife, and just about everything in between. Now, the following is what I understand some of my options are;

Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM (Aka. 'Bigma') - The ultimate jack of all trades. I'm tending to look seriously into this lens since it would mean complete coverage from 17-500 with just two lenses! Of course, Sigma's *coughs* 'commitment to quality' can make picking up a bigma a hit or miss. The full time manual autofocus is also a big plus!

Canon 100-400l f/4.5-5.6 IS USM - It's a very popular lens, and the IS is a definate bonus if you hand hold it... but then again, I rather doubt my ability to handhold a shot that's 300+, so any long distance shooting will be done on a tripod. It's also an L, and I must admit, I'd like at least one white lens.... :lol: Expensive though, and would leave a 50-100mm hole in coverage, as well as delaying purchase of the lens for at least two months while I go through 'fund aquisition' to afford it ;). The local camera shop guy reccomends this lens, but I'm inclined to belive he just wants the commision.

Tamron AF 200-500 f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) - I don't know much about this lens, but it seems a comparable offering from tamron. The rather hight starting zoom range leaves a bigger gap in my coverage than the canon, but it also has a longer zoom than the canon.

Of course, these three are only the ones I've looked at so far, and I'd be more than willing to look at any lens reccomended! So, any reccomendations?

2. Sontizzle

Sontizzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    canon 400mm 2.8? expensive but a very nice lens

3. Solthar

Solthar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hate to say it, but cost definatly is an issue at the moment. Also, I'm staying away from primes at the moment - I feel the tradeoff of IQ for convienience is fine with me, as long as it is kept within reasonable bounds.

4. Solthar

Solthar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So... no one else have any advice in this area?

5. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With those choices, the 100-400 is the way to go. A proven winner for the range that it covers. I used the Sigma 50-500 over this past week, and needless to say was not too impressed by it. Great range and all, but just does not have that crispness that I demand. Really up to how picky you are over IQ. It is soft wide-open until you stop down to f/8 or so.

6. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you do go for the 'Bigma', wait a few more weeks, Sigma is releasing the 150-500mm with OS, (Sigma's version of IS/VR), and it will be similarly priced to the current one. If you go to Adorama or CameraCanada they already have pre-order prices. Also, the 170-500 is also out, it is more compact, less expensive, but no HSM or OS.

7. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma make a few lenses in this range. I think it would be worthwhile to take a look at them as previously stated.

8. Solthar

Solthar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I'll look into that!

9. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Canon 100-400. you can get very nice pics with this lens and the extra 100mm the bigma offers costs to much in IQ. The Canon 100-400 only weakness is the small aperture but I and many others have found ways around it. I looked at the Tamron and the Bigma before and after getting the Canon 100- 400 and svaed my money till I could afford the 400 f/2.8.

You can get amazing shots the the 100-400. The AF is fast and good and it doesn't have a big red L for just looks:D.

Another option is a Canon 70-200 and a 1.4 qnd a 2.0 teleconverter.

I had the opportunity one day to slap a 2x TC on
    my 70-200 and was very pleased with the results.