Long shot, but can someone help me with keeping an orchid alive?

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, someone bought me an orchid for Valentines day. I kill plants, even plants that people can't kill. I can. I suck at plants.

They bought me a V. Banjong Skyblue. That's all I know. It's not planted in soil. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it and google wasn't much help. I know I'll end up killing it eventually, but I'd like to keep it alive for at least a few days. It was a sweet gesture, but seriously, I am the plant killer. Thanks for ANY help you can provide.

Take a picture of it...? Some you treat sort of like African violets (and are easy). Others need a crap ton of light. The key is the green parts and what they look like.

Seeing it would help!

Don't overwater it. If I remember right the roots should be damp but not fully submerged. Ours is in a place it gets lots of sunlight, (for Scotland) but it's not in direct sun. It's been alive for around 4 years now.

That's true of phals and lady slippers but if she has a vanda or some other type it can be very different. (IE you grow phals in wood chunks and moss, you grow a vanda in basically an empty basket under a spot light, LOL.)

This is going to be really complicated keeping this thing alive isn't it? Sorry for the really crappy cell phone pictures and the mess around the flower. Just ignore that part. Still trying to get settled in a very small room.
8034a6fb-e2c6-49a8-a004-67408b0d0b9d.jpg
ce569978-8bc9-458b-a82f-0f10c8728522.jpg

Take a picture of it...? Some you treat sort of like African violets (and are easy). Others need a crap ton of light. The key is the green parts and what they look like.

Seeing it would help!
See crappy pictures above.

Don't overwater it. If I remember right the roots should be damp but not fully submerged. Ours is in a place it gets lots of sunlight, (for Scotland) but it's not in direct sun. It's been alive for around 4 years now.
I will be happy if I can keep it alive for 4 days. Seriously, I suck with plants.

That's true of phals and lady slippers but if she has a vanda or some other type it can be very different. (IE you grow phals in wood chunks and moss, you grow a vanda in basically an empty basket under a spot light, LOL.)

It's in a pot, with moss type stuff around it. No soil. There's some rocks in there too. I have to say, I know the flower shop where it came from and I'm really surprised they didn't include any instructions at all. It's a well known, long time, expensive place.

Yay. Already have a humidifier.

Start a club, I could join.

Could you call the shop? and let them know you got a gift but there weren't any instructions attached and you're not sure how to care for it.

Then set it up somewhere with a nice background and take pictures, just in case.

All I know about orchids is Nero Wolfe raised them but if you're not a mystery buff that's no help.

Start a club, I could join.

Could you call the shop? and let them know you got a gift but there weren't any instructions attached and you're not sure how to care for it.

Then set it up somewhere with a nice background and take pictures, just in case.

All I know about orchids is Nero Wolfe raised them but if you're not a mystery buff that's no help.

My sister worked at this shop for 15 years before she passed away, her mother in law is the head florist. I can call the MIL and ask her. Again, it was such a sweet gesture but I've never managed to keep a plant alive. And I will take pictures. Just have to figure out where I packed the flash.

Thanks everyone.
Light but not too much light, sufficient water but not too much, warm but not too warm. Yup, got this. (that poor orchid)

It's currently on the dining room table that belongs to my roommate. It's next to the room with the wood stove (the house is pretty chilly) and close but not too close to the west facing patio doors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back