Miaow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s7.invisionfree.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm hoping someone can help me here :)

After seeing some great shots involving water where long exposure times were used - I attempted to try this with my camera today (kodak easyshare C743).

Unfortuantely I'm ending up with just a white overexposed pic as the camera wont allow me to adjust ISO or Exposure compensation with the long time setting in use.

Is there any way i can do this sort of pic with this camera that will work apart from trying to do the pic when its nearly dark?

Yes you need a Neutral Density filter which serves the purpose of reducing the light without adding a colour cast.

After having a chat to the guy in a local camera store, I've found that there isn't actually a filter that's going to go on this camera properly as it hasn't got a thread on the lens (and these filters are screw on). The guy in the shop was saying that it should still be ok holding the filter over the lens as I take a pic (camera will be on a tripod so stable).

Just wondering is this going to work ok considering its actually not going to be properly attached to the lens? I'm a little hestiant on buying one of these if isn't actually going to work properly?

Cokin makes a filter holder for compact digital cameras without thread on the lens. Have a look here.

The only thing that could cause a problem is something bright making a reflection off the backside of the filter. But it does work. In one desperate time I used sunglasses as a makeshift polariser :)

Sunglasses? Original idea. :D

Most often I use: ND, ND grad and polarizer.

I was thinking on the lines of Garbz ... if all else fails but you HAVE your sunglasses with you, you can also apply them, since ND filters ultimately aren't anything BUT sunglasses for the camera ;).

It is, of course, much NICER to have all the right filters, and to always have the presence of mind WHEN best to use WHICH (with is a big chunk of self-critisism, as I often simply FORGET to use the ONE filter I have - again, after years of yearning after my lost one).

Hey, I'm actually really glad someone answered this question. I will look into purchasing an ND Filter. Is there anyway i can get one for under 75$?

Hey, I'm actually really glad someone answered this question. I will look into purchasing an ND Filter. Is there anyway i can get one for under 75$?

I believe the ones here (Aus) are about $40 - I'm still waiting on the shop to get mine in (over 2 weeks now) :/

I was thinking on the lines of Garbz ... if all else fails but you HAVE your sunglasses with you, you can also apply them, since ND filters ultimately aren't anything BUT sunglasses for the camera ;).

I may have to try that and see how it goes :D
Edited: Just found a broken pair of sunnies and it does actually knock out a heap of light on a 1.5sec exposure i just tested it on indoors - Tested outside and it didn't really do too much to drop the exposure much so looks like Im gonna have to wait till i can get a filter:/

Most reactions

Back