Longer Canon fit off-camera flash cord?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Chris of Arabia, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've got a Canon 350D and a 430EX flash that I'd like to introduce some distance between. Canon 's own "Off Camera Shoe Cord 2" only gets them a couple of feet apart with full dedication. Is there anyone out there doing something a little longer - preferably without it being all pre-coiled up?

>;o))

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have seen, on other sites, home made extensions for that cord, so it can be done.

Another, maybe better, option would be to get a 550EX or 580EX flash which could be used as a wireless master to the 430EX off camera. Or you could get an ST-E2, which is basically a master sending unit without the flash.

3. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks BM. I knew about the capabilities of the 580EX and the ST-E2, but was trying to find a more cost effective solution first. Given what I'd like to be able to achieve (v.small but flexible still life lighting set-up), I may well find I end up getting both anyway. Ah well, it's only money...

>;o))