Longer exposure in daylight

chroix

In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"
Reaction score
Anybody got advice for shooting a longer exposure shot in daylight. Trying to get a blurred crowd downtown. I'd appreciate any advice or ideas. I don't want to do it in Photoshop. I'm using a D70 with tripod and remote.

Lowest ISO setting you can manage and the largest f-number.
Add neutral density filters if necessary.
A dull, overcast day or even twilight will drop the exposure more.
Using film you'd be looking at ISO50 or even 25.
But it all depends upon how long an exposure you want.

Yep, if its too bright in the smallest aperture you can try lowering the iso.
Try not too shoot in bright light, perhaps late afternoon would be best.
I guess an exposure of 2,3 seconds should do.

On a D70 ISO 200 is the lowest you can go, so in order to lengthen the exposure time you would need to use neutral density filter (or more than one if necessary) - it will not affect anything except exposure value. Do you already use a circular polarizer? If not, you should - it will also lengthen exposure - but it is not a neutral density, so it will affect the final image...

hope this helps

Thank you all for your responses. Lots of good suggestions. i may just shoot at at dusk. I think I want it to be pretty long after doing some test shots. When I get a chance I'll put up a test shot and illustrate what I'm going for. Thanks again.

I find if you leave the exposure for much more than a second then you lose all detail completely of the people... and I try this at night.

I couldn't get the Adorama site to load so I'm not sure if it is the same thing but....

Singh-Ray has a variable Neutral Density filter that goes from 1 to 10 stops. Kind of expensive though. I think it runs around $300 or so.

The 72mm 9 stop Hoya ND is $111.95 @ Adorama. They also make a 17 stop one, which the only size Adorama has is the 39mm, and it's $39.95.

What about the idea of using 2 stacked polarisers?

Surely as you rotate them nearer and nearer to 90 degrees to each other they will approach a neutral density rating of infinity?

This may be the cheapest solution in the long run. A polariser is always useful, I think it is a must have, and maybe you can borrow another from a pal?

Most reactions

Back