Look into my eyes

tida19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tidacha.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! My name is Tida. I am very new here. Nice to meet you all. I am still figuring out how the forum works .. meanwhile I give you my first thread ..Black and white

Model: Maria
11045375_1583284901917811_7688564825458759799_o.jpg

hi Tida, I have seen 2 other threads from you, this is an interesting perspective and the model is attractive but I find the angle cramped/awkward so this shot does not work for me but some lovely detail all the same

hi Tida, I have seen 2 other threads from you, this is an interesting perspective and the model is attractive but I find the angle cramped/awkward so this shot does not work for me but some lovely detail all the same
Hi, thanks for your comment. I love hearing comments

It is my impression that many people who are slightly new to photography confuse strange angles and close-ups with 'art.'
This is a lovely subject and the angle of the picture doesn't add or, in my opinion, even fit with the real content of the picture.

You have a good eye so keep on.

Lew

It is my impression that many people who are slightly new to photography confuse strange angles and close-ups with 'art.'
This is a lovely subject and the angle of the picture doesn't add or, in my opinion, even fit with the real content of the picture.

You have a good eye so keep on.

Lew
Thank you Lew :)

On tight close-ups like this, spinning the camera around to a vertical framing will eliminate the 45% empty background and 55% face and hair proportion that this shot has, and will move the composition toward an 80% subject, 20% empty background ratio.

Still photography is not the cinema, in which an ultra close-up like this, crops into the chin because a movie or TV screen is a FIXED ,permanently horizontal field of view. Your camera offers two orientations, one horizontal, the other vertical.

In a still photo, when the border of the frame cuts into the chin, the effect is typically not favorable for a horizontal framing. Having the right-side eye well below the center line of the horizontal frame is also distracting; there's a term I use for this: the subject in this picture is riding low in the frame.

On tight close-ups like this, spinning the camera around to a vertical framing will eliminate the 45% empty background and 55% face and hair proportion that this shot has, and will move the composition toward an 80% subject, 20% empty background ratio.

Still photography is not the cinema, in which an ultra close-up like this, crops into the chin because a movie or TV screen is a FIXED ,permanently horizontal field of view. Your camera offers two orientations, one horizontal, the other vertical.

In a still photo, when the border of the frame cuts into the chin, the effect is typically not favorable for a horizontal framing. Having the right-side eye well below the center line of the horizontal frame is also distracting; there's a term I use for this: the subject in this picture is riding low in the frame.
True, straight forward plus useful tips. Thank you very much :)

I stopped by your blog last night and looked around. You have a great location there, a great situation. I think if you consider "tall or wide? tall or wide?" on every shooting opportunity, your potential for growth as a photographer will be hugely accelerated. Ask yourself, "Is my subject taller than it is wide?" If so, then a vertical camera orientation, often called the portrait orientation, makes a lot of sense in many situations. People LOVE to look at pictures of people. When the person pictured is just a face, the vertical orientation literally allows the face to be shown larger on-screen than when the camera is held in a horizontal orientation.

When a person happens to be sitting, and shown as part of a "scene"...then it makes sense to consider that the subject might be the scene, and that a horizontal camera orientation might be the better approach; a great example would be the woman with the pig on the beach: there, the entire scene, background, beach, the cottages, all of that, is a very important part of the idea, and so the horizontal framing you did on that shot is the correct choice, for sure!

Unless your camera shoots to a square capture format, virtually every single photo opportunity needs to be evaluated as, "Tall? or Wide?", before you even bring the camera up to your eye. It's a critical decision.

I stopped by your blog last night and looked around. You have a great location there, a great situation. I think if you consider "tall or wide? tall or wide?" on every shooting opportunity, your potential for growth as a photographer will be hugely accelerated. Ask yourself, "Is my subject taller than it is wide?" If so, then a vertical camera orientation, often called the portrait orientation, makes a lot of sense in many situations. People LOVE to look at pictures of people. When the person pictured is just a face, the vertical orientation literally allows the face to be shown larger on-screen than when the camera is held in a horizontal orientation.

When a person happens to be sitting, and shown as part of a "scene"...then it makes sense to consider that the subject might be the scene, and that a horizontal camera orientation might be the better approach; a great example would be the woman with the pig on the beach: there, the entire scene, background, beach, the cottages, all of that, is a very important part of the idea, and so the horizontal framing you did on that shot is the correct choice, for sure!

Unless your camera shoots to a square capture format, virtually every single photo opportunity needs to be evaluated as, "Tall? or Wide?", before you even bring the camera up to your eye. It's a critical decision.

I really appreciated your time and advice :D So far I photograph only 2 models so far. Well, I shoot photos now and then for fun for some times and now I have time to get into it. So I think I should try portrait since I love capture people. However, I am pretty newbie. But from now on I'll expect c&c from you if I have guts to post again haha
I might have some more photo on my page publicly if you like to see more photos from where I live now. here https://www.facebook.com/thetidacha not much of the nice ones though, more like memories while living here

As the others have said - this is a great start, but the crop is harming the composition a bit. I love horizontal portraits, they offer a much more intimate, cinematic feel to a portrait, but the downside is that you have to be careful and clever with your cropping. The thing that makes this slightly uncomfortable to view is that part of her chin has been cropped and this should always be avoided.

Cropping into the subject's face is fine, but always crop off of the head and not off of the chin. Cropping the chin gives the impression that your subject is struggling to keep their head above the water line, which makes for tense and uncomfortable viewing.

You definitely have an eye though, you just need some slight tweaks and a bit more thought before clicking the shutter or cropping in post. Keep it up! :)

Thank you Forkie :) I know comment about cropping face will keep coming .. but this was original. I accidentally got the shot and I just like it.. don't ask me why haha
I didn't shoot the same pose 10 times ( not I am regret actually ) So I get what I shoot :p ( you know a pretty face with cut chin lol )

Anyway, I haven't process all the photos yet. I will try to post more, so I could learn more. I really appreciate all the comments in this forum :)

10277437_1583284951917806_7102639126647644075_n.jpg

As the others have said - this is a great start, but the crop is harming the composition a bit. I love horizontal portraits, they offer a much more intimate, cinematic feel to a portrait, but the downside is that you have to be careful and clever with your cropping. The thing that makes this slightly uncomfortable to view is that part of her chin has been cropped and this should always be avoided.

Cropping into the subject's face is fine, but always crop off of the head and not off of the chin. Cropping the chin gives the impression that your subject is struggling to keep their head above the water line, which makes for tense and uncomfortable viewing.

You definitely have an eye though, you just need some slight tweaks and a bit more thought before clicking the shutter or cropping in post. Keep it up! :)

Most reactions

Back