lookin for a good camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by v-dubber, Sep 21, 2009.

1. v-dubber

v-dubber TPF Noob!

2. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a fine camera. I would recommend though buying the camera at an online store such as adorama. The best thing you can do though is go to a camera store and hold and take some pics with all the cameras that are in your price range and buy what feels right. Good Luck!
    -TJ

3. v-dubber

v-dubber TPF Noob!

thanks bro!

anyone else got any info??

4. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have that camera and it is great for the money. You will read and learn that for picture quality the lens is more important then the camera. Def. check Adorama, B&H etc. Last February I got the XS with 18-55 IS kit lens and a 75-300 telephoto for $499 plus free shipping. Just keep shopping, they had a $150 online rebate. I haven't seen then that low since but they do have legit sales every once in a while. Also go to youtube and search for the XS and you will see some interesting stuff, example shots, and tutorials.

Good luck

5. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Really, you'll do fine with any camera body - it's the lens that makes the huge difference. A $100 lens and a $1000 lens are a huge difference. I recommend buying a less expensive camera (older model), and only the body if you can, and spend the rest on a quality lens.

7. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, as mentioned, go to a local camera shop and hand hold several different models ( and makes) to see which feels best in your own mitts. If they can price match within 10% of the on-line stores, I say stay local. This helps build a relationship and helps the local economy.

I shoot Nikon. :biggrin:

8. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And...
    don't feel forced to buy a certain brand. I shoot sony. Many people shoot sony. Many more people shoot canon and nikon, pentax and olympus, etc. Whatever feels best for you is the camera you want. You'll be happy with whatever you get, especially if it's your first dSLR.
    Maybe you want to start with a less popular brand such as pentax so you can get a better deal to see how you like it - then switch over as you get more into it. Nikon and Canon are the two biggest right now and Sony seems to be making a move up with them as well... BUT... Canon and Nikon are also (a good part of the time), the most expensive.

9. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't feel pressured to buy a certain brand but choose a company that makes the glass that you will be using and what is at a good price. Nikon and Canon are the leaders in the optics industry but sony is not bad either. Pick a company that has the lenses you will possibly be purchasing. GL

10. v-dubber

v-dubber TPF Noob!

awesome feedback

ill definatly hit up a local place before i make any decisions

thanks guys

11. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another thing is do not be afraid to buy a factory refurbished unit as long as it is refurbed by Canon or Nikon etc. Many many people on here have bought them from online retailers and say you would never know that they were not brand new, it might be a way to save you a little money to go towards a better lens.

12. RussJasper

RussJasper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great camera. I just started with that camera actually. I chose it because i am used to canon - all their menus and buttons are similar and there is usually a lot more support for canon users (be it from canon or other users). Lenses are everywhere and the camera itself is priced well. i think you will be happy with that.

ps.... v-dubber eh? what do you drive?? I have a Mk4 TDI Jetta dumped on mercedes alphards. holla.