lookin for a new lense..

Sontizzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
didnt know where to put this but im looking for a better all around lense for my canon rebel xti. cant really afford a high end IS or L lense (unless its around 500 bucks). any recommendations?

I personally think the 50mm 1.8 is a great all around lens. It makes you think differently because you actually have to move...you're lens doesn't zoom in or out. It's very fast so you usually won't have to use any flash. It also makes nice quality shots. Great lens IMO. Otherwise the only other all around lens you can't afford (24-70 f/2.8 L or 24-105 f/4 IS)

Could you live with a 28mm focal length at the widest end of the zoom? What are you shooting?

* Canon 28-135 IS USM is a decent lens in that budget. Should still have just enough to also include the nifty fifty.

* there are a few other walk around lenses byother manufacturers in that price range as well.

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 also....

There are a lot of "walk around lenses" in the used market as well. No reason you should not consider those. My Ol'Tamron 35-105 f2.8 still sees use.... but a bit long on a crop sensor.

Canon 28-135 IS USM

I have that lens. My only complaint is that I got ripped off with the price (I paid quite a bit more than $500)

It's a good lens, but it will be a little long for the Xti. I hope you don't mind.

Well, Sigma has a 28-300 3.5- 6.3 lens for under $300 quite slow but you can make up for it by bumping up the ISO or or use a tripod.

well, it'd be just over 500 bucks, but the Canon 70-200 F4 L would get you an L series lens. You'd be soooo happy.

28-135 IS you can get used (EBay) for under $300 - sometimes closer to $200

Like previous poster said, 70-200 f/4L from B&H is a little over $500. Do not know if it's considered walk around though.

50mm f/1.8 - for around $70, I do not think you can go wrong with this one. Some filters cost more. This was first lens I bought and still use it.

There are plenty of great lenses out there for under $500...the best usually being closer to $500.

I got into DSLR photography about a year ago and I too was on a limited budget. I quickly became a regular at two lens reveiw sites:

http://www.slrgear.com

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

I found very good information from users of the lenses and the lens price-points. The one thing I always gravitated to were users posting samples photos. I never felt I adequately found enough sample shots. So I've been building this repository. It started with my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, nifty-fifty, 70-200 f/4 L, ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS, and 85 f/1.8. The rest of the photo reviews are from photographers around the world.

http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/

-Roy

well, it'd be just over 500 bucks, but the Canon 70-200 F4 L would get you an L series lens. You'd be soooo happy.

I second this lens. I use the f/2.8 version and it is on my camera more often than not.

I really like my Tamron 17-50F2.8 - thats my vote
It is basically my "all around" lens. I shoot a lot indoors though and my Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3 is just not fast enough for that....great outdoors though.

Freedbaby

Most reactions

New Topics

Back