Lookin to make some Moolah

JonnyVPA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Scranton, PA is my Hometown but im constantly movi
so im kinda stuck..... i have a shot that i want to sell but i dont know who to sell it to.... and where i can even start to sell the rest of my stuff... and i was wonderin if any of you kind people can help me out

Heres 2 shots that i'd like to sell but yano im kinda stuck lol

serenity.jpg

calmingmood.jpg

One avenue you can try is go into local coffee shops, restaurants, shops etc. that are open to displaying photography on consignment. Its a win win situation because the store gets free artwork for there walls and if a patron wants to buy it they can and you get the money. You could also look into gallery space in your area, talk to the gallery owner and see if you can get a show. You'll display a lot of your work and hopefully generate interest in it. You will have to advertise your show to get people in the door but if you can get enough people in you ma make a couple sales. Set your price to the income level of your target audience. For example if your work is in a small coffee shop you may look for 30-50 a print whereas if your in a nice restaurant you may be able to charge 100-200 per print, it all depends on your audience, just be careful that if you have your work in a coffee shop and restaurant in the same town that you dont have the same work in both or people may go to both and see the same print selling for 5 times as much in the restaurant compared to the coffee shop.

What about looking into the photographer's market books? They have lists of magazines that buy photographs. (Maybe a travel/Carribbean magazine would buy these?) and it says how the magazine wants to receive the image as well.

AprilRamone said:
What about looking into the photographer's market books? They have lists of magazines that buy photographs. (Maybe a travel/Carribbean magazine would buy these?) and it says how the magazine wants to receive the image as well.

I agree, but you'll need to put together a good portfolio/website first, and you should ideally have a few more shots available than just 2. Selling them in coffee shops and restaurants is also a good idea.

Fotki.com works great for me. It's $30 per year to have a premium membership, which allows you to sell your photos. Just get people to go to your site. For example the link in my signature is my page on Fotki.

forzaF1 said:
Fotki.com works great for me. It's $30 per year to have a premium membership, which allows you to sell your photos. Just get people to go to your site. For example the link in my signature is my page on Fotki.

whats the reaction been like? Have you sold anything through there?

forzaF1 said:
Yes. Quite a few prints, in fact. They have been mostly owners of the Ferraris I shot and fellow F1/Ferrari enthusiasts.
The question is; has it paid for itself yet? ;)

If most of the people who bought your prints through fotki were your clients or ferrari enthusiasts, did they access fotki through you? How many buyers found you strictly through fotki?

(I'm asking because if most of your buyers bought your prints from fotki because they were directed there by you, than fotki had little to do with selling your prints and so would probably not be worth my time setting everything up with them.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back