looking at a nikon d200

i would never buy a refurb, not worth the few hundred savings. i have had a bad exp with that first hand. i gought a refurb "like new" jvc hd camcorder hd7u, got it finally and the block sensor (the sensor tht recognizes the built in lens car is open or closed) was inop and assumed it was alyays closed. it took over a month for me to get the camera back then when i did it had the same prob after about 30 days!:grumpy:

only refurb product i've purchased was my 1.7x teleconverter. i got it from Adorama. saved about $200. couldn't have been happier. i would just make sure the product being sold says Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

i would never buy a refurb, not worth the few hundred savings. i have had a bad exp with that first hand. i gought a refurb "like new" jvc hd camcorder hd7u, got it finally and the block sensor (the sensor tht recognizes the built in lens car is open or closed) was inop and assumed it was alyays closed. it took over a month for me to get the camera back then when i did it had the same prob after about 30 days!:grumpy:

If Nikon USA (who does the refurbishing for Adorama, BHPhoto and Cameta cameras - as well as countless other I'm sure), it would go right back to them, free of charge to fix. As such, I have never had a need to return any refurbed body I have ever purchased. When I got my D300, it had all of 20 actuations on it. Good times.

Yeah, I think refurbs are sometimes better than off the line stuff because each one is looked at individually instead of a random pick.

Yup, I bought my 1D Mark III from Adorama as a refurb. Brand spanking new by all accounts with 1,200 actuations on the shutter. I will not hesitate to buy Canon refurbs from Adorama in the future. I highly recommend them.

I would just make sure that the refurbs are in fact factory refurbs and not refurbs done by the retailer. I can't speak for B&H as I've not purchased cameras from them, but I know Adorama only uses Canon factory refurbs.

If anything, buying a factory refurb mitigates any risk of getting a defective unit as the camera is fully checked out by a factory tech.

Wow....I seriously bought my D90 at the right time. I got it for $879 brand new from B&H and they are now $975 new....and backordered (body only). Good to know I could get about the same as what I paid for it if I decide to sell.

Yup, I bought my 1D Mark III from Adorama as a refurb. Brand spanking new by all accounts with 1,200 actuations on the shutter. I will not hesitate to buy Canon refurbs from Adorama in the future. I highly recommend them.

I would just make sure that the refurbs are in fact factory refurbs and not refurbs done by the retailer. I can't speak for B&H as I've not purchased cameras from them, but I know Adorama only uses Canon factory refurbs.

If anything, buying a factory refurb mitigates any risk of getting a defective unit as the camera is fully checked out by a factory tech.

That's actually a REALLY good point. I will definitely keep this in mind from now on! Thanks for the valuable info !

I also agree with everyone else...that is to much to pay for the d200 especially since it is used. I have a d300 and I love it...it is a great camera.

This thread might as well be titled "If you were gonna spend this, how about spending a little bit more on this..." I'll add the D700 as the next suggestion. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I live in Atlanta... and truly searched for a better deal and couldn't find one. Literally spent all day on the internet. After I went and looked at it, the camera is barely used. He owns an advertising company here in Atlanta and had tons of cameras and computers that he's barely touched. ALSO, I'm very impulsive and impatient.. :/ so I got it yesterday. He gave me a camera bag, battery, charger and the original boxes. Whenever he bought it he paid 1699 for the body and 399 for the lens.. YIKES.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I live in Atlanta... and truly searched for a better deal and couldn't find one. Literally spent all day on the internet. After I went and looked at it, the camera is barely used. He owns an advertising company here in Atlanta and had tons of cameras and computers that he's barely touched. ALSO, I'm very impulsive and impatient.. :/ so I got it yesterday. He gave me a camera bag, battery, charger and the original boxes. Whenever he bought it he paid 1699 for the body and 399 for the lens.. YIKES.

congrats! i love my d200 and do not have the low light issues that you read about, and absolutely love them both!

if you have any q's pm me im prettty fluent with it.

might not be the best deal in the world but it's definitely not a rip off or anything. you'll be happy with your purchase i'm sure :thumbup:

congrats! i love my d200 and do not have the low light issues that you read about, and absolutely love them both!

if you have any q's pm me im prettty fluent with it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! yea I've been reading the manual and playing with settings. But this weekend I plan on really going out and using it. So I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions.

No. I'd not consider it a ripoff, but it definitely isn't/wasn't a good deal. As others were saying, unless you live in the boonies, a comparable D90 would have come in at less, with a few more entry-level bells and whistles delivered right to your door with 2-day shipping.

But then I've purchased from brick and mortar stores, knowing full well I'd be paying extra, simply because I didn't want to wait on shipping.

And I like how he tossed in the "well I paid. . ." - I love that line. Hell the D50 cost upwards of 1K when it first came out. Body only I believe. Good times.

Most reactions

Back