Looking at getting some filters, need advice

anm90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking at getting some filters once I get some money and would like some advice. I am just starting out in photography and have a Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens. I currently have no filters at all.

I am into landscape photography and enjoy sunsets and water photography. I have come up with a list of filter types that would be most useful for this lens.

UV Filter (protection?)
Circular Polarizer
Neutral Density (1?, 2, 3, and 4 stop filters) - What are the most commonly used values for these?
Graduated Neutral Density

Here is a link to a wishlist I made on B&H. They are all Tiffen filters except for the Grad ND setup which is from Cokin. Being extremely budget conscious and a hobbyist photographer, are these of sufficient quality to suit my needs?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

That is a great list of filters, I don't see you needing any more that the ones that are on that list. That group will let you get your exposures under any conditions, and then if you want to expand on filters you can do it in post processing with photoshop and nik filters.

I wouldn't buy 1, 2, 3, and 4-stop ND filters. Seems like, at the very most, you could do 1, 2, 4 and combine the 1 and 2 for 3 if you really wanted all that. I have an ND 1.8 (which I think is 6 stops if I did my math right) and I have a 3.0 on my wish list (10 stops). I'll be putting the two together for some specialized applications.

Would I see vignetting if I stacked the filters though?

Honestly, if you are just starting out, you may want to wait a bit till you find you actually need the ND filters. I would recommend you get the Polarizer, and the GND, and wait and see. That's me, though.

A good Polarizer is gonna give the best bang for the buck. From what I learned on the net about Uv filters for protection I stop using them for several reasons but that is a personal choice and not saying it is better to use or not.

From first principles, I don't think you will see extra vignetting by stacking two filters. Unless these filters are sticking out from your lens by like an inch or more.

Astro, it depends on the lens. Some get vignetting with a polarizer.

I believe most manufacturers offer slim filters so they do not cause vignetting. Hoya makes several that I know of. The vignetting is only going to happen at the wide end, once you are using the telephoto end, I would imagine you would not see any ill effects at all.

I agree that a CPL would be the best to start out with, and maybe just buying one ND filter to see how you can utilize it and you will quickly learn if you need more.

And not to make things more complicated, but you might want to look into an IR filter in the future, there are some really cool things you can do with those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back