Looking at light/flash meters! HELP?!

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am currently starting to look into buying a handheld light/flash meter. I am not sure what is good or not. Also I should ask, do I really need one or do I have myself hyped about nothing? I shoot with a Canon 10D and have been less than thrilled in some "special" circumstances lately with my on-board metering (especially with my recent addition of an ultra-wide angle lens).

I need one that will do flash and ambient preferrably with a spot option. I wont have a ton of cash to spend. Are these like lenses in that you get what you pay for 100% or are there some cheaper or older models that still work fine? I have come across some Sekonic L-358 meters in the $200-$250 range are these decent? There seem to be quite a few older Minolta flash meters on eBay, what about these?

Any help would be greatly apreciated ;) Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

I have the L-358, for ambient and flash it's great but I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to be doing a lot of spot metering. It can do it, but it's a bit of a fiddle, and if you're going to do a lot then you can spend just a little more for some good options.

All IMHO of course.

Most reactions

Back