Looking at other people's cameras

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by joeboot, Oct 6, 2005.

1. joeboot

joeboot TPF Noob!

Do any of you enjoy checking out other people's cameras when you are on vacation as much as I do? Sometimes it amazes me what people will bring with them on a trip. Last summer we were in Philadelphia and I saw one guy with an EOS 1D (when we got into the next room, my wise son, knowing that such a machine would get me going, said, "You can tell me the story now." I saw another vacationer with a medium-format rangefinder - I don't remember if it was a Bronica or a Mamiya. The best camera-spotting I have found is at the Grand Canyon.
    :drool: <-- This guy is drooling because he saw a fancy camera on vacation. I was just going to put him there, but he's kind of disgusting without an explanation.

2. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I look also. But I look at the older cameras with a lot more interest. I see sometimes older people carrying a Leica or a Rollei TLR around with them. These are the ones I envy. :)

3. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i honestly havent ever seen anyone in public with a 'super camera' unless they were like...shooting portraits outside or something. I've seen loads of 300d's though, and a 350d or two.

4. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

working at an amusement park, i see a lot of people bringing in their 300d's and d70's but nothing super super cool...

5. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always look out for people using cool cameras... old TLRs, manual cameras, Holgas and anything else unusual. More often than not, I get the guys with the D70 or Rebel coming up and wanting to know if I'm a pro (I guess a tripod and L glass automatically make you a pro). :lol: Many also ask for me to give them a lesson on how to use their camera. I don't mind though... it's nice to share something I enjoy so much with other people.

6. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had other canon users come to me and I've actually gone up to folks holding cameras I haven't seen before. You can meet some odd folks doing that. really odd. like they want shut up or leave you alone odd.

7. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The oddest rig/place I'v run into was at a hot air baloon fest last summer. A lady with a Canon IDs MK2 and a very long, slow lens attempting to shoot hot air baloons after nightfall when they light up or "firefly" together. I was shooting a 35mm f/1.2 at 800 ISO on a D1X and could only muster 1/30th sec. She was very loud and frustrated in short order and not happy with her results.