Looking at other people's cameras

joeboot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do any of you enjoy checking out other people's cameras when you are on vacation as much as I do? Sometimes it amazes me what people will bring with them on a trip. Last summer we were in Philadelphia and I saw one guy with an EOS 1D (when we got into the next room, my wise son, knowing that such a machine would get me going, said, "You can tell me the story now." I saw another vacationer with a medium-format rangefinder - I don't remember if it was a Bronica or a Mamiya. The best camera-spotting I have found is at the Grand Canyon.
:drool: <-- This guy is drooling because he saw a fancy camera on vacation. I was just going to put him there, but he's kind of disgusting without an explanation.

Yeah, I look also. But I look at the older cameras with a lot more interest. I see sometimes older people carrying a Leica or a Rollei TLR around with them. These are the ones I envy. :)

i honestly havent ever seen anyone in public with a 'super camera' unless they were like...shooting portraits outside or something. I've seen loads of 300d's though, and a 350d or two.

I always look out for people using cool cameras... old TLRs, manual cameras, Holgas and anything else unusual. More often than not, I get the guys with the D70 or Rebel coming up and wanting to know if I'm a pro (I guess a tripod and L glass automatically make you a pro). :lol: Many also ask for me to give them a lesson on how to use their camera. I don't mind though... it's nice to share something I enjoy so much with other people.

I've had other canon users come to me and I've actually gone up to folks holding cameras I haven't seen before. You can meet some odd folks doing that. really odd. like they want shut up or leave you alone odd.

The oddest rig/place I'v run into was at a hot air baloon fest last summer. A lady with a Canon IDs MK2 and a very long, slow lens attempting to shoot hot air baloons after nightfall when they light up or "firefly" together. I was shooting a 35mm f/1.2 at 800 ISO on a D1X and could only muster 1/30th sec. She was very loud and frustrated in short order and not happy with her results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back