Looking foe new Large Monitor

Millerscorpion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently use a 23" LG IPS LED monitor for photo editing, but with my new job I've getting used to a 30" monitor. So I would like to get at least a 30" monitor for photo editing, especially since I'm starting to work in raw format. I use a Dell laptop with a Dell docking station so I was thinking about getting a Dell monitor and use a display port cable. But I know dvi is real good for images also. So I'm definitely not opposed to any other brand.

Any suggestions, or likes or dislikes of large monitors you have used? I am also considering using
a medium size t.v. , but I don't know if a t.v. can be callibrated to a printer.

Last edited:
What is your budget?
I ask because IMO for photo editing if you are forking out for a 30" monitor I think you should be paying the extra to be sure your get an IPS panel (better colour reproduction when compared to your cheaper LCD screens)...and a 30" IPS won't come cheaply (especially if you are looking at a Dell :p).

I just got the 30" UltraSharp monitor from Dell, and I love it. My pictures look so much better!

How are your pictures going to look on someone else's un-calibtrated 19" TN display? Or on a cell phone?

Currently a $1000 + monitor is out of my budget, I'd expect to pay more than that for a good quality monitor. I was hoping to find a good deal on e-bay or some other bidding site.

Note that the $1400 Dell U3014 (30") UltraSharp does not meet Adobe's minimum display requirements in that the U3014 cannot display 16-bit color.

The Dell 3014 can display more than 8 bits (256 x 256 x 256 = 16.7 million) of color depth, but less than 9 bits (512 x 512 x 512 = 1.34 billion) of color depth.
However, the 1.07 billion colors the U3014 can display includes 99% of the Adobe RGB color space gamut of colors, but falls well short of displaying the much larger gamut of colors in the ProPhoto RGB color space, the color space editing experts recommend we use for editing digital images.

can your GPU/video cable support more than 1900x1200?

A bigger monitor doesn’t necessarily mean greater resolution. As @Braineack mentioned, dedicated video card or GPU spec? Budget. I personally would consider a 27"

This is an excellent monitor for the price. Not the best looking sitting on a desk but a very nice display.

VP2772

I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000 display adapter; 64 MB of dedicated memory, primary resolution 1600x900, secondary resolution 1920x1080. I works great for CAD and photo editing on the 15 in. screen and my 23 in. monitor. Though knowing this now, I'm thinking my graphics performance will limit the size of monitor I can use to full potential.

I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000 display adapter; 64 MB of dedicated memory, primary resolution 1600x900, secondary resolution 1920x1080. I works great for CAD and photo editing on the 15 in. screen and my 23 in. monitor. Though knowing this now, I'm thinking my graphics performance will limit the size of monitor I can use to full potential.

The CPU with built in GPU will work on the bigger monitors, it automatically adjusts your display for it's size. In order to use more dedicated memory, you will have to go into the BIOS and adjust the amount of ram to use with the GPU. Now, if you do not have a lot of system ram, I would advise in a discrete graphics card which would be a reasonable cost. The GPU can be set to use up to 1.7 GB of system ram. I would prefer to know the make / model number of system before I make a recommendation on a discrete GPU due to power supply, and case form factor limitations.

Quick Reference Guide for Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics | Intel® Developer Zone

Why not just grab a 32" TV with HDMI? It'll also have the added benefit of you being able to use it on photography gigs. (I do the same)

LED Tv resolution = 1920X1080. Non Ips
UHD Tv resolution = 3840×2160. Non Ips
My 27" monitor = 5120x2880. Ips

You decide.

Last edited:
Why not just grab a 32" TV with HDMI? It'll also have the added benefit of you being able to use it on photography gigs. (I do the same)
RichBrown, I was considering using a 30" to 36" t.v., the only issue with that is weather it can be calibrated to a printer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back