Looking for a a backpack

matt_m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a relative newbie. I'm trying to figure out a good bag strategy for myself which quickly became clear that a) I don't want to carry everything and b) no one bag is going to be best for different situations. I think I found a good bag I like for situations where I want a bag I can set down and pull things in and out in the Think Tank Retrospective 10. I like the flexibility there too since I can add 1 or two of their belt system components to the ends if I need a little more room. Doing that to carry two long lenses to softball games and its working out well. Bag sits by my wife and walk back and swap out gear.

One thing I've not figured out is some kind of backpack I can take where I'll be doing a lot of walking or biking. I find any kind of shoulder bag gets uncomfortable quick walking and biking a backpack is a must. I previously made the mistake of trying two different big bags. One, a Tamrac, was too big and not very flexible organizationally. The other, a Think Tank Airport series was a great flexible bag from an organizational perspective, but too big and boxy to be comfortable the way I want to use a backpack.

I think I'm looking for a similar capacity to the Retrospective 10, meaning depending on the activity I want to be able to carry a gripped D7100 and 2-3 other pieces including maybe 1-2 long lenses, 1-2 shorter lenses, a flash.

I want a really comfortable backpack with good padding, something not too rigid, and really nice straps--something like the average laptop backpack. One I've identified with some quick searching that might fit the bill is the Lowepro Flipside 300 but I'm sure there are others I should check out and am looking for advise.

The best camera bag strategy is to have multiple of them, for different occasions.

My personal camera bag is the Lowpro Flipside 500 AW. That thing offers a lot of room and protects the gear very well against damage, theft, and the elements.

The Think Tank Trifecta 10 DSLR backpack comes to mind. Not sure if it will fit a gripped camera. But many camera stores sell these bags, so you could check them out first before buying. When it comes to finding certain bags, there are not many for gripped DSLRs, I myself had a hard time when I had a gripped D7000, I ended up using a messenger style bag from Lowepro.

I'm a relative newbie. I'm trying to figure out a good bag strategy for myself which quickly became clear that a) I don't want to carry everything and b) no one bag is going to be best for different situations. I think I found a good bag I like for situations where I want a bag I can set down and pull things in and out in the Think Tank Retrospective 10. I like the flexibility there too since I can add 1 or two of their belt system components to the ends if I need a little more room. Doing that to carry two long lenses to softball games and its working out well. Bag sits by my wife and walk back and swap out gear.

One thing I've not figured out is some kind of backpack I can take where I'll be doing a lot of walking or biking. I find any kind of shoulder bag gets uncomfortable quick walking and biking a backpack is a must. I previously made the mistake of trying two different big bags. One, a Tamrac, was too big and not very flexible organizationally. The other, a Think Tank Airport series was a great flexible bag from an organizational perspective, but too big and boxy to be comfortable the way I want to use a backpack.

I think I'm looking for a similar capacity to the Retrospective 10, meaning depending on the activity I want to be able to carry a gripped D7100 and 2-3 other pieces including maybe 1-2 long lenses, 1-2 shorter lenses, a flash.

I want a really comfortable backpack with good padding, something not too rigid, and really nice straps--something like the average laptop backpack. One I've identified with some quick searching that might fit the bill is the Lowepro Flipside 300 but I'm sure there are others I should check out and am looking for advise.

the Lowpro Flipside works but if you do a lot of hiking and biking get a mirrorless camera with pancake lens - they are a lot smaller and lighter and much easier to carry around !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

www.Cambags.com Best resource on the net to check out various styles of bags. You can search for those that fit you needs and read reviews from actual users.

I have a few backpack bags that I have bought at camera stores. Trying them out and putting them on made the difference for me. Sometimes your limited to a few brands and not all the models, but its worth stopping in if you have someplace close.

I have a small Tamrac that I often take with the gripped body with no lens mounted along with two lenses in one section and a flash in the other section. This tends to work with the backpack model as I don't keep putting the camera back in the bag once I start shooting.

Do an Amazon search and pick up a few, return any that won't work for you.
As far as security from theft, no bag will do that, so don't be fooled by the claims.

Thanks. I've never seen the Cambags site--looks like I can easily spend a few hours on there!

I'm looking at this as a bag I would repack/rearrange for each outing. Might go biking or walking on the trail that goes through our National Park and State Park and take long lenses for wildlife, then pack it another time where I want a couple different short lenses.

That's a good point on carrying the body without the lenses attached. Might offer more options, especially trying to get 2 long lenses in a bag without having to go with a huge bag.

I currently use a Case Logic DCB-308. I know most people don't think of that brand for camera bags, but I've been very happy with this one. It's a sling that allows you to access the camera/lens compartment without taking it off. I use it to hold a Nikon D750 with a 24-120mm lens attached, and I keep my Tamron 70-200 lens in main compartment along with a speedlight. I can rearrange the inside to allow for carrying the D750 with 70-200mm attached as well. It also comes with a rain cover.

Case Logic DCB-308

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just picked up two Lowepro bags, one Fastpack 250 and one Trekker 450. The Fastpack is nice, the lower camera compartment opens from the side and can store my D7200 with lens attached plus 1-2 extra lenses depending on configuration, and then has the open upper compartment to throw anything into. It's comfortable and not too large. The Trekker 450 is really a large lens bag, it's highly configurable, is built really well, has a lot of storage space, but really not applicable to you in this case and I now don't even know why I mentioned it. Lol.

Well I ordered a Lowepro Flipside and its on its way back to Amazon. Nice bag but the zipper broke their first time I tried to use it. I have a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro due tomorrow. Same physical size almost--just 1/2" deeper.

Well I ordered a Lowepro Flipside and its on its way back to Amazon. Nice bag but the zipper broke their first time I tried to use it. I have a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro due tomorrow. Same physical size almost--just 1/2" deeper.
Dang, that's uncommon from Lowepro. Don't let that turn you away from the brand, they are high quality backpacks. You just got a dud, unfortunately.

How did you like it otherwise?

lowerpro makes great bags.. that is a bummer yours broke like that..

i have 2 of their backpacks and a couple of their small bags for point and shoot cameras and the one can hold a point and shoot or a small lens..

the one backpack when completely full of all my stuff the sides bulge out due to the size of my big lens and its hard to zip up because of that, the zipper has almost forced to zip when its like that and its still going strong..

i would say you were just unlucky with that bag you got. you can get a lemon anything..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back