Looking for a backpack

Alexstre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I've been looking online for a backpack that could carry all my stuff, including my newly acquired nikon d40. I have my old 12 inch iBook, my cellphone, my iPod(s) [I use my 80 gigs has an external hard drive], possibly something to read on the bus.. and the list keeps growing:lmao:

My best option so far was the Burton Zoom Pack. It's pretty big (21" x 12" x 9"), has extra padding / separators and is apparently (from reviews) pretty solid. I was wondering if anybody here has something similar they would suggest? or if you have a zoom, what do you think of it?

- Alex

I've got a Lowepro Computrekker AW. Great bag.

Second the computrekker. that's my dream bag. Gonna buy it as soon as I get some money

If you need want a backpack style bag...it's great. I've toted it around the world and never had any real problems. The AW (all weather) built-in rain cover paid for itself in the rain forests of Costa Rica.

However, as a camera bag...I'm not a huge fan of the 'backpack' style. It's inconvenient to get anything in or out of the bag in a hurry...and to access the bag, you pretty much have to lay it out on something (the ground). For easier access I prefer a should style bag or a sling style bag.

I've got a Lowepro Computrekker AW. Great bag.

That's the bag I am looking at. Have you flown with it as carry on? It looks to me like it will meet the requirements everywhere except London... London, they think my WALLET is too big for carry on... what is it with those people at Heathrow?

That's the bag I am looking at. Have you flown with it as carry on? It looks to me like it will meet the requirements everywhere except London... London, they think my WALLET is too big for carry on... what is it with those people at Heathrow?

Shoulder bag person myself, but nothing against back pack people. :thumbup:

London. "Sir you have a foil bag in your upper left pocket, please remove it." It was a half empty bag of peanuts. They are really good and if it's any consolation, the security is tops.

I dread having to take a trip overseas with my camera equipment, from all the stories I've been reading. Do I want to check my cameras and expensive lenses, and have them get tossed into luggage or risk some airport thieves? No Way!

That's the bag I am looking at. Have you flown with it as carry on?
I've used it as carry-on, on every flight I've taken in the last 3 years...which isn't a lot....but I've been to Europe, Asia, Central America and a few places in North America...no problems whatsoever (knock on wood). Granted, I've never been to Heathrow.

That being said, the Computrekker AW doesn't really fit into those metal stands that are for testing the size of your carry on luggage. Especially when I've got the front area packed with non-photo stuff. However, it's close enough that nobody had stopped me. I did fly on a small aircraft that had small overhead bins...and I had to stow the bag under the seat in front of me.

On thing that I don't like about the Computrekker...is it's bulk/shape. It's not really bad...but it's more of a round shape rather than a longer thinner shape. I've a big buy and when it's on my back, I take up a lot of space, especially when trying to move around in a confined or busy space.

A friend of mine has the NatureTrekker and while it doens't have as much 'non-photo' storage area...it has a slightly wider and longer shape, which keeps the mass of the bag closer to your centre of gravity.

Most reactions

Back