Looking for a "bargain" AIs prime - 85mm or longer

LifeORiley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any suggestions?

I have both the 85 1.8D and 1.8G and sold my 85mm 1.4 Rokinon (sharp but heavy cool-blue leaning).

I'm just bored and looking for a new toy.:)

What are you looking to get out of another 85mm prime lens? The 85mm 1.8G is pretty much the best bargain you can get already.

Maybe try the 135mm f2?

105 2.5 is a winner in my book.

Maybe try the 135mm f2?

135 DC? or....

Ken R. sings the praises of this lens but mentioning KR is instant "troll-bait".

Maybe try the 135mm f2?

135 DC? or....

Ken R. sings the praises of this lens but mentioning KR is instant "troll-bait".

I'm going off of personal experience. Rockwell has some decent insight if you can sift through the sarcasm etc. I usually make a stop by his site when researching a lens regardless...

I like the lens, a lot. I have been shooting it actively for the last few months on a D7100 and F3 during weddings and portrait sessions. My copy has a smooth perfectly dampened focus and is plenty sharp. I like it for detail shots.

I've had a lot of AI-S glass in the past few years. The 105 seems like a lens I will keep around.

I'm waiting for sigma to drop the other shoe on the 85 1.4 art. So far they are kicking the crap out of nikon when it comes to wide open tests at 1.4, there are no two ways about it. While the the 58 1.4g is a sharper once you stop down, they've put it to shame at 1.4. Really, what use is it to own a expensive lens with a 1.4 aperture, when it is at its weakest at that point?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back