Looking for a BETTER camera

Eric794

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right now I am shooting on a Canon Eos Elan, Ive always had problems with it shutting down when I am taking pictures, I am looking for a new or used camera under $500.00 that is great with B&W. Ive been doing alittle research and I ebay shop alot.

Right now I am looking at a Canon Eos-3, anygood?? is there a better camera out there? Let me know what you think, THANKS!

It sounds like your camera needs repair (or just new batteries). The Elan cameras were pretty good. Did you have the original one? The latest one was the Elan 7n, which might be a good option. I think it was/is less than $500 brand new.

The EOS 3 was one of the best EOS cameras not in the 'Pro' 1 series. Very good camera.

Actually, you could probably find a 1 series body for $500. Many many pro photographers used 1 series bodies and have since switched to digital. These cameras are probably well used but they are built like tanks, so they should still be good.

Thanks for the quick response.

My Elan is the original, so it's pretty old, I have tryed switching out the batteries and it always randomly dies
:( So I figure its time for an upgrade.
Ill check out the 1 series body.

I shot a 1N for years until I realized I had to get some better glass and couldn't afford it...so I sold the 1N, switched to my A2 backup as primary, and bought a second A2 as a backup. The A2 was pretty robust, a little big, and after taking the beating mine has taken it still shoots like a trooper. I love it, and I never missed my 1N. The A2E was a pain in the butt, and eye focus was unuseable for motorsports. I'm selling my A2 soon, sad about it, but there you go. Side note: I'm selling my Elan II, too.

Meanwhile...Big Mike is always worth listening to: the 1N can be used as a sledgehammer to demolish brick structures without damage. Thing's bulletproof. I just surfed eBay and found several examples (some with vertical battery booster grips and such, and one hysterical post that reads "...shutter speeds SOUND accurate." I'd beware that guy) for under $300.

I borrowed a friend's EOS 3 and all I remember was it was fast, quiet, easy to use and I wished I could have afforded it at the time, but I quit shooting about then, when it was new. They seem to cost more on the used market than the 1N, and again, the eye control focus was never my cup of tea.

With a $500 budget - I'd say you're in good shape. Good luck!

Ive got an EOS 3 and its a great piece of kit and i got it really cheap in almost mint condition (around £120 i think its about £250 dollars but not sure) the eye calibrated focus is really cool, i wish my 30D had it!!

Get the Eos 3. It's such a good camera. You can get bodies on ebay for 150$ or 175$ with the power grip. I absolutley love that camera. Robust as hell but not a brick. I want to be buried with mine!

Most reactions

Back