Looking for a bird lens

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I shoot with a canon 80d. Currently I have an 18-55 stm, a 55-250 stm and a 50mm 1.8. I'd like to get a lens for shooting birds. I know sigma has a 150-600 as well as Tamron. From what I've heard, the sigma is the better of the two and ive got no problem paying for the kit with the 1.4x teleconverter along with the 150-600, but I was wondering if there were better options in the 1200$ price range as well as better for less money?

The new Tamron has been getting some great reviews.

The older Tamron and Sigma's I wouldn't waste my money on since the Canon 400mm F5.6 beats them both.

The sigma 150-600 that's currently out is not as good as the new Tamron g2? What about the kit with the 1.4x teleconverter that they have? Not much more value in that? I see one for Tamron is like 400$, yikes

I haven't used the new G2 but from the reviews I've seen it would be my top choice to look at. I would go down to a local shop and check it out.
coastalconn on here has used the G2 and 1.4 teleconverter. He'd be the best to give an opinion on it.

The new Tamron has been getting some great reviews.

The older Tamron and Sigma's I wouldn't waste my money on since the Canon 400mm F5.6 beats them both.

I heard that guy is a hack ;)

Agreed. A big prime is always going to beat a zoom. Add to it that when I had the first gen 150-600 I was always at 600mm so it it was kind of pointless to have that range.

The 400 F5.6 is still a great lens for birding and you can get them used in the 600-700 range if you look hard enough. Being in CT 400 is pretty short for most of the year though. Beach camera via Newegg had a crazy deal that had a 300 gift card if you bought the G2. The sigma C and G1 are on fairly equal grounds and the sport and G2 are as well, but 1 notch higher. The G2 with 1.4x is ok, but you have to have incredible light. You also have slower AF speed and a very dark viewfinder. The best bet is to always get closer although it isn't always possible especially at a few of the spots I'll show you in the spring...

The 400 F5.6 is still a great lens for birding and you can get them used in the 600-700 range if you look hard enough. Being in CT 400 is pretty short for most of the year though. Beach camera via Newegg had a crazy deal that had a 300 gift card if you bought the G2. The sigma C and G1 are on fairly equal grounds and the sport and G2 are as well, but 1 notch higher. The G2 with 1.4x is ok, but you have to have incredible light. You also have slower AF speed and a very dark viewfinder. The best bet is to always get closer although it isn't always possible especially at a few of the spots I'll show you in the spring...
Awesome. I'm going to aim at getting a lens by March or so. I'll probably get the g2, since I have a crop body I already get the extra focal length, right? I can't wait to go shoot! Your photos are amazing.

Awesome. I'm going to aim at getting a lens by March or so. I'll probably get the g2, since I have a crop body I already get the extra focal length, right? I can't wait to go shoot! Your photos are amazing.
Well technically your FOV is 1.6x but magnification is still 600mm. It's a shame you are out of commission for a bit. You could try the G2 on my D500 and it would give you an idea of IQ...

Hmm. Well, if you all recommend the Tamron g2, I'd rather invest in that. O do find myself liking more sigma than Tamron but I think here I'll go Tamron. A lot of money for me to swing though lol too bad they didn't have sales!

Hmm. Well, if you all recommend the Tamron g2, I'd rather invest in that. O do find myself liking more sigma than Tamron but I think here I'll go Tamron. A lot of money for me to swing though lol too bad they didn't have sales!

look for year end sales on the 150-600 (make sure it's the G2)

look for year end sales on the 150-600 (make sure it's the G2)
where would i look for that?

Most reactions

Back