Looking for a camera bag

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a camera bag to store everything in.

Even tho I just started this hobby, I would like a bag big enough to keep all the lens and items I might purchase in the future. I want a bag that is square like and opens from the top with easy access to everything for the top. Added pockets on the top, front, sides a plus.

I want one that you carry...I DO NOT want a backpack, slingshot or one you carry around the hip.

I'm VERY interested in the way the Tamrac Pro series...something like the Pro 8 or Pro 12.
5612-open-black_m.jpg

Another person showed me a Domke F2 that I might be interested in as well.

Let me know what you have, pictures, description and price. Thanks :D

I don't have one to sell, but I figured i'd let you know my opinion on those types of bags. I have one simular to it, and to be honest its quite difficult to carry that, my purse, and diaper bag (I have two kids under 3). Its always falling off my shoulder, and its very heavy. Thats why once I get some money, im purchasing a slingshot so I can throw it over my shoulder and it will be much easier to access and carry! But thats just my input.

I would suggest going into a well stocked camera shop, if you can.

Camera bags should been seen & felt in person before choosing the one you want. Also, if you have a used camera shop, that is often a place to get a good deal on used bags as well.

I have a few Lowepro bags and I highly recommend them. I recently traded a lens for a Tamrac bag similar to that one. The build quality is great but the shape & size seem to be a bit odd.

I would suggest going into a well stocked camera shop, if you can.

Camera bags should been seen & felt in person before choosing the one you want. Also, if you have a used camera shop, that is often a place to get a good deal on used bags as well.

I have a few Lowepro bags and I highly recommend them. I recently traded a lens for a Tamrac bag similar to that one. The build quality is great but the shape & size seem to be a bit odd.

I agree with all of this advice.

I love my Lowepro bag, and I also suggest you try out the bags in person.

Here are my 2 cents..

I had a shoulder bag for a while that carried 1 dSLR, lens attached and another lens. It was fairly small. It was fine if I wasn’t travelling much, but when I started to roam around city streets for hours on end on photo trips, it would be a huge pain and very uncomfortable.

So for walk abouts of 3-4 hours, I now have a Lowepro Slingshot bag which I love. It does get heavy after a while as its still the one shoulder holding most of the weight, its very versatile and comfortable.

I still use the belt type bag when doing some more focused work and I only need a couple of lenses with small accessories, but my slingshot is my main bag. I have a couple of collegues at work who also have the slingshot. I got the 200 as the 100 was too small. Cost about $70 CAD

When going on longer trips (such as Australia in a year), I plan on having a 2 strap backpack style bag for comfort as it will be on my back for an entire month.

But as stated, go into a shop and try a bunch of them on. Bring your gear with you to fit it in, or ask them to put stuff in the bag so you can check the weight factor.

I’m a fan of Lowepro as well.

I have been to the camera store and seen and felt them. They mostly had Lowepro bags and I liked them, but none of them were big enough for what I'm looking for.

I also looked at the jill-e bags, but I don't think my husband would appreciate me buying that one, so it's out of the question.

They mostly had Lowepro bags and I liked them, but none of them were big enough for what I'm looking for.
Must not have been a 'well stocked' camera store. These big bags typically only sell to pros and advanced amateurs so you need a store that caters to pro photographers etc.

Yea I need to find a different store with more stuff. However, I'd like to find a use bag and save some money.
They just mainly had the lowepro and jill-e bags. They were out of the slingshot and said they had ordered more in...but it's really not what I'm looking for, so I didn't go back to see it.

If you have a really good idea of which model bag you want, then it might be OK to just order it and have it shipped...although the shipping will be expensive.

When I got my backpack style bag, I had looked all over the internet and then went into the store to see it. The one I had chosen was much smaller than I thought it was and I realized that I needed a much bigger one. That's why I suggest seeing them in-person, even if you eventually order it on-line.

The capacity most websites list is usually a little on the large side too.

I think the specs page on B&H says that the Domke F2 can hold 2 bodies and 10 lenses. If all of your lenses were 50mm primes or smaller - sure you could probably pack that many in there, but if you have a telephoto or a zoom or two there's no way you're getting 10 lenses in there.

Unless you have actually seen the bag in person, I wouldn't trust what the online stores tell you will fit in it.

So anyone in here own the Tamrac Pro series (8 or 12)?

This is just a hobby, so no way will I ever have 10 lens or anything. I know most websites tell you the inside diameter as well. That's what I've been going on.

I'll have to see if any of the local stores have this bag. But, I would love to hear from anyone that might have it on their thoughts/likes/dislikes about it.

Well, I guess I'm the proud owner of a Tamrac Pro bag. I found one listed on ebay for $75. I offered the guy $55 and he took the offer.

Hopefully I'll like it. There was just something about that bag that caught my eye and I really liked.

I can't wait for it to come. :bounce:

I got my bag today and I must say I'm very impressed with the size and the amount of pockets it has for everything. It's in super duper good shape and I'm very satisfied with my decision. I can't wait to get enough stuff to fill it up now. :lmao: But, at least my items will be protected now which is what really scared me.
I have several lens cases coming now. I bought a bunch of the hard leather box types in bulk with every size so that I would be prepared. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back