Looking for a camera bag

As a former news photog, I've been using Domke bags since Jim Domke started making them out of his garage. The ugly bags are for news photography, not for luggage, (as in toss them in the luggage compartment of an airplane). They are make to work out of. They are made to be fast getting stuff in-and-out. They are made to hold a ton of stuff. They are made to be comfy to wear all day and all night. They will conform to your sharp and the shape of what's in the bag. I've used these bags (F-2) on assignments from the Arctic to Equator, from Super Bowls to wars and I've never lost any equipment due to lack of padding. I've used these bags nearly every working day for a decade ana half ... I've carried them around the world and I've even slept with them. When I was working, Domke was my bag of choice.

You said you really just need it for storage--that gives me the impression you really aren't looking for something to travel with or schlep gear around. If that's accurate, then you're barking up the wrong tree. Buy a suitcase. Or a large backpack. And then get something like a Timbuktu insert. Adjust to fit your gear. And this has the advantage of being something that you can adapt as your gear changes (i.e.: you get a 500mm zoom or that funky fisheye).

A friend of mine has pointed me to the Think Tank StreetWalker. Looks like it will house all of my gear easily..maybe not all the little doodads and what not but most of it. Probably could make it work.

A friend of mine has pointed me to the Think Tank StreetWalker. Looks like it will house all of my gear easily..maybe not all the little doodads and what not but most of it. Probably could make it work.
I only got back into photography a year or so ago. I've bought several bags since then, each one big enough for my gear at the time. They even looked expandable to some extent. But every time I bought a lens or some other piece of equipment, it was a hassle trying to find the space.

I discovered the best plan was to get a bag that was too big, by at least the size of a large lens or camera body, plus an extra pocket I thought I would never fill. I know it has only been since May that I got this Lowepro Magnum 400 AW, but I recently got a flash unit and am considering a flash meter, maybe even a PocketWizard and there's still room to spare.

Get something a little larger than you think you need, not make-it-work size.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I ended up buying the Think Tank Streetwalker. I think it will work perfect for what I want. I don't have large size lenses..so I don't really need a super huge bag. My original thought was to get a big bag to store everything..but I played around with my Lowepro Flipside 300 and could fit everything inside, though it's tight because Lowepro has thick padding and it has that stupid pouch toward the top. The Streetwalker is a hair bigger but has thinner dividers and no pouch and it's a couple inches longer. I figured I will have enough room for an additional small lens and flash. After this last two items, I don't see myself adding anything else for a while. I built up a kit that I really enjoy using and want to start focusing on taking pictures rather than gear.

Anyways it has a lot more compartments than my Flipside 300..but the reason why I got the Lowepro was the size, I could easily bring it on short hiking trips. So I thought if I was going to spend money on a new bag, I'd use it as intended instead of sitting on my floor for storage. I have drawers for stuff I don't use often and they can stay in there until needed.

Watched many, many reviews on this bag and just fell in love with it, it looks better..love Think Tank reputation and I guess their warranty policy is quite good. I thought about getting the PRO version, but the way I looked at it was pro lenses like the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 or 300 2.8 lenses..big huge filter thread lenses and for pro bodies with the grips. I don't have any of that, their for it didn't make sense to get it.

I'm sure I'll continue get more stuff..but you just can't fit EVERYTHING in one bag and I just don't have the funds to buy a huge ThinkTank airport bag, lowepro roller or a pelican case..plus half of it would be empty!

Anyways, Think Tank has a good return policy..so if for some reason it doesn't work out in 30 days, I can return it for a full refund and no restocking fee and get something else. Its worth a shot!

If I do grow out of it in the next few years, I could sell it and get most of my money back as they do hold their value.

Never thought I'd be a owner of a Think Tank bag...

Funny...I never pictured you hooked up with a Streetwalker...you just don't look like that kinda' guy...

Nice choice. I have the Streetwalker and I easily fit a nikon Df, 28mm f2.8 ais, 50mm f1.8D, 85mm f1.4D w/hood attached, 100mm f2.8 macro, 135mm f2 ais, 2 sb600, 3 phottix radio trigger/receivers and have lots of room in all the outside and inner anxiety pickets to spare for small items.

Nice choice. I have the Streetwalker and I easily fit a nikon Df, 28mm f2.8 ais, 50mm f1.8D, 85mm f1.4D w/hood attached, 100mm f2.8 macro, 135mm f2 ais, 2 sb600, 3 phottix radio trigger/receivers and have lots of room in all the outside and inner anxiety pickets to spare for small items.

That's quite of bit of stuff! I hope I have enough room to fit a flash and hopefully a ultra wide angle lens.

FedEx just dropped off the Streetwalker! It is a quite nice looking bag. Everything fits easily. But I'm going to get a second small bag for my video stuff which is fine.

11816143_10207599316487266_2621259874823366442_o.jpg

The shoulder straps a little uncomfortable, but I may just have to keep playing with it until I get the desired comfort. I wish you could remove the waist strap because it's digging right into my back. I'll see if I can make it better. I know the Streetwalker Pro had a spot where you could put the waist strap when not needed..I mean come on..ThinkTank could of done that to the basic one too.

WP_20150729_015.jpg

But I'm going to keep playing with it, I think it will work out. The bag is big enough, with some adjustments I can easily fit another lens or two and maybe a flash. I was shocked I was able to stand my 105 2.8G straight up. Its pretty much flush with the top of the dividers. The bag has ton of pockets to hide stuff..I put my RS7 in the side pocket which I think made the bag harder to zip up. I honestly don't use the strap anymore so I probably could leave it at home or sell it. But I dang, the zippers are MASSIVE! and lockable too which I like.

I really good like the bag, very professional looking..great quality. ThinkTank has amazing warranty as well. I'm going to work on making a video review sometime hopefully next week after I had some time to play with it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

If you set the bag up to have the camera body in there without a lens mounted you will gain enough space for another lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back