looking for a camera kit

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by qweasdzyc, Nov 25, 2004.

1. qweasdzyc

qweasdzyc TPF Noob!

Hi

I just started with SLR photography and have been using a rented Pentax K1000 with 50 mm lens from my school and am looking to get my own setup. I've got about 300 to spend and am considering three options from BH.

1) Rebel T2 kit with 28-90 mm lens for $270
    2) Rebel K2 kit with 28-80 mm lens for $200 (with date its $260)
    3) Minolta Maxxum 50 with 28-100mm and 70-210mm lenses for about $250

I know Canon has great lens, so would getting a Canon body now and buying more lenses later be better than the Minolta? Also the difference between the K2 and the T2 seems pretty minute. Also, is "date" that important a feature? Which would you recommend? Thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I use a Canon so I will recommend one of the Canon cameras. You are right, Canon has some great lenses.

From what I can tell, the only difference between the K2 and the T2 is that the T2 in newer and has a more advanced flash metering system (E-TTL II). As you are new, I doubt this will make a difference to you.

I would not bother with the date back either. I have one, the battery died long ago and I never plan to get a new one. Who wants a date burned into their photos anyway? ;)

My suggestion is to get the K2, with or without the kit lens. The kit lens may be OK, but you may find it lacking some day. Still, probably best to get it with the kit.

What I think you should get with your camera is the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens. It is the least expensive EF lens but it's one of the best. You should be able to get it for $70 or less. It's not a zoom lens but it has a wider maximum aperture which will come in handy...and it will give you very sharp images.

That should give you a good start. You might also want to pick up a tripod if your budget allows.

Good luck and have fun.

3. qweasdzyc

qweasdzyc TPF Noob!

Thanks for the advice, Mike. I got the K2 with the kit lenses and I love it.

Right now, I'm shooting some 100 film and the max aperture is really bugging me.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats on the new camera.

With the limited day light this time of year, a nice fast lens sure does come in handy.

Don't be afraid to try faster film & as I said before, the 50mm F1.8 is a great lens to have. No EOS owner should be without it.

Another reason to use a prime (fixed) lens is that it will help teach you about cropping and perspective. Rather than just standing in one spot zooming the lens, you are forced to use your legs and get into position.