Looking for a camera.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by shev, Dec 5, 2005.

1. shev

shev TPF Noob!

As I was going through ebay I noticed fujifilm are very cheap compared to the others. like the finepix s602. I dont need many megapixels for bigger pictures. 640x480 pixel sized standard photos should be fine. so 3.1-ish mega pixels should be enough. not having a lithium battery should only be a minor setback. but it says.... "dslr-like" so not slr? I read somewhere zlr? is there much of a difference? still real shudder and interchangeable lenses?

Well here's the stats:

but being a noob, I dont really have anything to compare those too, like a camera I know is good. I need a a constant I can compare all the variable cameras to. I need a camera for macro shots, scenery, and wildlife.

the konica minolta dimage z20 5.2 megapixel is also pretty darn cheap.

any advice would be great, thanks again. sorry for dumb questions, its hard to just "google" things like this. if you could just point me somewhere int he right direction that would be great too.

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

An SLR is a single reflex camera, typically referring to 35mm film format cameras which until recently were pretty much the thing.

A dSLR is a digital version of the same, typically with an APS-C sized sensor (about 1.6x smaller than a 35mm neg)

A ZLR is a digital fixed lens camera, typically with a tiny tiny sensor and a very short lens. However, some of the more modern offerings now have APS-C sized sensors. The Fujis have always been pretty good for quality images, so if it's a cheap road in, then go for it!

Here's a review and specifications:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis602z/

3. shev

shev TPF Noob!

Thanks Rob.

it didnt say whether it was dslr, zlr or other.

bookmarked that page
    so
    "The use of SuperCCD doesn't have the same controversial impact it had when first introduced, but there are still a good number of sceptics of exactly how this honeycomb CCD layout produces better pictures. Fujifilm didn't help themselves back when they first announced SuperCCD by labelling their first camera '4.3 megapixel' when they were in fact 2.4 megapixel images being 'processed' (interpolated to you and me) up to a 4.3 megapixel image.
    This 'processing' still occurs now, and the S602Z has a 3.1 megapixel SuperCCD which produces a 6.0 megapixel image. SuperCCD works by combining pixels from the 45 degree pixel layout into a normal square pattern, this has the side-effect of producing more image pixels than were actually captured."

octogonal pixles better than rectangular? its not like the pictures will come out as octogons.... right? lol

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

It's a ZLR as it's a fixed lens prosumer type camera. It's reasonably good, not a patch on a DSLR, but nowhere near the price either.

No octagons will be in your picture! This is the shape of the sensor bits and presumably this cleverness allows them to interpolate (make up) the inbetweeny bits more accurately than just plain digital guesswork or by using more conventional rectangular or square sensor bits. You don't need to worry about this at all. Essentially it's a 3MP camera which produces a 6MP image which can therefore be enlarged a bit bigger (not even twice as much).

The Super business was a cheeky way to up the theoretical megapixel count back in the day when everyone and their dog was obsessed with the sticker on the front of the camera.

People are now getting wise to the actual situation, where the sensor size and density and the optical quality are actually the important factors.

5. shev

shev TPF Noob!

Well the fuji hasa Sensor sizeof 1/1.7. whats that compared to a dslr?

6. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

That would probably be a little smaller than a DSLR, but not by much. Fuji is making a lot of cameras that sort of hybrids of DSLR and compact cameras, they are nice cameras though

7. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

The 1/1.7 sensor is actually 7.6 x 5.7mm - nowhere near the same league as a dslr.

Being 'dslr like' means that it has an electronic viewfinder which shows the the shot as seen through the lens. It does the same as the screen on the back but uses less power and doesn't suffer from glare. They're prone to latency, though.

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

9. shev

shev TPF Noob!

hmmm, just wondering, 1/1.7 is better than 1/2.7 inch image sensor right? how do I figure it out to be square millimeters?

the fujis may not have detatchable lenses, but I think they have lenses you put over the intact one.

oh yeah, I found a pretty cheap dslr fuji. the s5200. but it has a 1/2.5 image sensor. thats smaller than the 1/1.7 zlr one.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072802fuji_s5200zs5600z.asp

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUJI-FINEPIX-S5200-DIGITAL-CAMERA-880-DELUXE-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ7568976593QQcategoryZ50532QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

only like 400$ .

oh and what do you guys think about refurbished cameras?

10. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

The s5200 is not a dslr - it's an 'slr style' compact.

11. shev

shev TPF Noob!

Dang, it even had the interchangeable lenses.

12. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Doesn't it actually have lens attachments, rather than completely interchangeable lenses? Like another bit of glass which adapts it to wide angle or macro mode?

Rob