Looking for a "crash" proof case

loopy

Brave little froggy...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Next year, my boyfriend is planning on buying me a dirt bike. Personally, I'd prefer a quad so that I can pack along my gear on rides, but ... apparently I have no choice ;)

I don't want to have to leave my camera behind. So, I'd like to find a waterproof case that can fit into a small backpack. It needs to be able to protect my gear if I go flying off my bike.

I'd like it to be able to carry a body and a couple of lenses. That's it.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nothing will protect you gear in a crash except a rigid case, and a hard rigid case is a backpack, if worn, could increase the chance of personal injury in a crash.

I would suggest a camera case used as or inserted into saddle bags. One line of cases that have a good reputation for durability are Pelican cases:

Welcome to www.pelican.com Pelican™ Products - Manufacturer of high-impact, watertight equipment Protector™ Cases and safety approved, technically advanced flashlights
Watertight Equipment Cases

Pelican all the way.

Almost lost my camera one week after i got it. (hit by a car while biking)
Will be picking up a case soon.

I have heard only good things about them.

Depending on the nature of the crash there is NOTHING that will protect your gear. It's just a risk your are going to have to take. The best option available has already been mentioned being a pelican case.

It needs to be able to protect my gear if I go flying off my bike.
HAHAHA!!! I hope you don't. Anyway, all I bring with me when I go out on my four wheeler is my point and shoot. There's no way I'd bring my dslr with me... I'd go with the Pelican cases like people suggested, they look really good.

Good call Dwig, I didn't think of it like that! Saddlebag it is!

Gryphonslair, changes are the nature of the crash will be me, falling off my bike at pretty low speeds! lol.

Olpher, glad to hear your camera wasn't hurt in the accident, I hope you were not either.

Seems like Pelican is the way to go. Thanks guys :)

Big, I'll probably be taking out the trusty old K1000 until I'm confident in my abilities. I don't have a digital point and shoot right now, but I'd like to get another powershot a620 (quite similar to yours) it was the best p&s Ive ever owned.

Good call Dwig, I didn't think of it like that! Saddlebag it is!

Gryphonslair, changes are the nature of the crash will be me, falling off my bike at pretty low speeds! lol.

Olpher, glad to hear your camera wasn't hurt in the accident, I hope you were not either.

Well after 27 years in law enforcement and countless trips with the Chaplain to deliver death notices the nature of the crash can be surprisingly small and deadly. Even at low speeds.

Frankly falling off a bike is well as simple as falling off of a bike. :D Any idiot can do it without a lick of practice. :mrgreen: I see it all the time.

My girlfriend who is a nurse... she calls bikers who ride without helmets "organ donors".

I ride a bike and saw first hand what asphalt did to a 19 year old girl who wore a blouse and skirt and fell off a bike after her boyfriend wheelied the bike when she wasn't ready from 35 MPH. She lost 4 pounds of flesh and was in the hospital for 9 months and 8 skin graft surguries. Whenever I see some idiot driving in jeans and a t-shirt, I say a little prayer that he never feels the asphalt on his body.

I do not care what the temperatures are... when I sit on my bike, it is in FULL leathers from neck to toe and full face helmet. If it is too hot to wear leathers... it's too hot to ride the bike, period.

To get back on topic... small Pelican case (google or search on Amazon), and put them in the saddle bags. As mentioned, don't wear it in a backpack or something silly.

They make some pretty good cases, but I kinda doubt that you'll find one that can fit your gear, and fit in a backpack. ...Not with padding anyway.
(Which I'm pretty sure you would want in a hard case.)

I bought a nice pistol case at Bass Pro Shops (hunting & fishing). Its a nice hard case and alot cheaper than a Pelican case.

I can vouch for Pelican cases as well. I had to jump out of a boat in 5ft of choppy water and use my case as a flotation device for my fully loaded backpack so I didn't soak all my stuff in the surf. All my photo gear was dry as a bone and perfectly safe inside.

I can vouch for Pelican cases as well. I had to jump out of a boat in 5ft of choppy water and use my case as a flotation device for my fully loaded backpack so I didn't soak all my stuff in the surf. All my photo gear was dry as a bone and perfectly safe inside.

Was your backpack inside the case, or was the case inside the backpack...?

glad to hear everything worked out.

I set my fully loaded 70 liter pack on top of my case, and it saved the day and kept it pretty dry considering the rough water. I, on the other hand, was drenched. It was my first 36 hours in SE asia and I knew it was going to be a fun trip :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back