Looking for a decent/affordable digital SLR

Ryuji

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now I have an Olympus SP-55OUZ, which is definitely a step above your average point and shoot, but I've been developing a much stronger interest in photography lately, and want a camera that has full manual control, plus the ability to change lenses, etc. Basically something I will be able to use as I my skill progress from noobish, to advanced. Heh.

What are good cameras to look at? (Within a reasonable budget range for a college student).

For a college student looking to develop a hobby? Check out the Canon 20D or 30D. They're capable and the same basic layout as Canon's professional cameras, so if you become accustomed to it, upgrading later won't have a huge learning curve. The my 20D is still producing excellent results and the only significant difference between the 20D and 30D is the size of the LCD screen. Used 20D's are under $400 now and 30D's are under $600. It's a pretty excellent place to start, if you ask me.

Look on craigslist. There's usually a few up there.

Amazon just bumped the price of a new Nikon D40 w/ 18-55mm kit lens down to $450, and you can probably find it for less if you look hard enough.

Pentax
Sony
Olympus

That's if you really want decent AND affordable. Nikon/Canon lower ends are affordable but not decent IMO. Then again 3 or 4 steps up from the bottom (up a little past $1000 bodies) and they're decent too.

Most reactions

Back