Looking for a DSLR and lense

pantherlax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know there are alot of threads on DSLRs but please help me out...

I am in high school and this is my first year of photography, and have been taking a photography class since September. I want to get a dSLR, but less than $700. I also dont want it to be too complicated and hard to use, good for a beginner but also something i would be able to use for awhile.

I'll be taking a variety of things, including landscapes, nightshots, and sports...

As for a lense, i want something thats flexible, adaptable. A kit lense and maybe another zoom lense...would be like $200?

I was thinking Nikon d50...and also what do you think of this lense [ame]http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0006HIJ2S/ref=s9_asin_image_1/105-2928363-1105228[/ame]
Would it be a little too advanced for me?

Thanks!

the 70-300 is a good budget lens. as long as you understand the limitations of variable apertures and small maximum apertures (slow glass) that will suit you fine.

As for ease of use, DSLRs will have modes that let the camera do all the work, either called auto or "green" mode. Also P mode will let the camera do most of the work, while still giving you some control as well.

Thanks for your response.
Yea i read up on all the modes; so any dslr would work for a beginner?

Yea i read up on all the modes; so any dslr would work for a beginner?
Pretty much. I suggest going into a store and holding the different models, the one that feels best to you (and is withing your budget) is probably the best one for you.

Pretty much. I suggest going into a store and holding the different models, the one that feels best to you (and is withing your budget) is probably the best one for you.

and by feel it isn't just how your hand fits it. It also has a lot to do with the features the camera has. you want to be able to switch your settings comfortably and relatively quickly, and overall it should just "feel" good to use it.

But yes, even the 7000 dollar Canon EOS 1DS MKII has a program mode that will let a beginner take a decent picture.

All the entry DSLR's are pretty good. If you have lenses that will work with one or the other, the choice becomes easier. Otherwise, it's all about getting one that fits your hand and has the features you want.

I got my first DSLR not too long ago and went with the Pentax K110D. The only thing it really doesn't do well is burst shoot mode. It'll only take 3-4 pics at ~3fps before the buffer gets full and it slows down to around 1.5 shots a second. Since I don't shoot much action, this isn't an issue.
Right now Pentax is offering a $50 rebate, I got mine for $400 after rebate, with the kit lense. For an extra $100 or so you can get the K100D which is the same camera with image stabilization built in.

Good luck.

Can you guys give me a quick run down on the cheaper Nikon cameras? d40, d50, etc.?
And also for less than $700 which Canon Cameras would i be in the market for? Which would most benefit me?

And can you guys recommend me some good all purpose lenses for Nikon and Canon?

I would echo whay Mike said about holding different camera's and see which feels best to you. But also important while your holding each camera, is to access the menu's and controls as they will be somewhat different.

Can you guys give me a quick run down on the cheaper Nikon cameras? d40, d50, etc.?
And also for less than $700 which Canon Cameras would i be in the market for? Which would most benefit me?

And can you guys recommend me some good all purpose lenses for Nikon and Canon?

The D-40 will be the least expensive, a good camera that should work for your purposes. Be aware that unlike the other Nikon camera's with the D-40 you will not be able to use all of Nikon's lenses. Starting out that might not be an issue, but if however you stay with photography and want to upgrade, this may become problematic. The D-50 is next up and a very good camera that will work for your needs and also allow you more flexibility of lens choice.

Thanks, that is exactly the info i was looking for.
Anyone know for Canon cameras, less than $700?

under 700 is going to be the XT (350D) and if you look hard enough, maybe the XTi (400D).

the only DSLRs that are in your price range from canon, yes. well I suppose the Digital Rebel (300D) would count to. I'd stick with the XT or XTi. XT if you are on a budget and use the extra money for glass or memory or whatever you need. (I recommend the 50mm 1.8 mkII)

what do you think of this Nikon d50 package; [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009GZAWS/kenrockwellcom[/ame]

And can you guys recommend me a memory card? I dont know anything about it...I'm thinking 1 or 2 gigs.

Most reactions

Back