Looking for a fast computer for editing?

GooniesNeverSayDie11

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wouldn't buy a computer from where I can get car tires or dishwashers. Personally I love my iMac... :)

16...GB....RAM!!!

Ive been looking/using laptops so much lately that I forgot how powerful desktops were.... even more for the price...

I got all the above and with 8 gigs and its plenty...16 is impressive...if even needed! good find!

nice cpu, alot of ram and a decent video card, thats all you need, but hey, you should pay 2k for a mac, just to tell people you have a mac.

IMO, you can get by w less horsepower (CS5 isn't THAT much of a hog), saving a few $$ for glass.

Also, I noticed it doesn't have wireless....maybe not a problem if your net connection is hard-wired. However, if your internet connection is wireless, then you'll need to buy a wireless card....adding a few more bucks ($100?). Desktops have become really inexpensive.

Yeah, well my 32bit core duo with 4gb isnt cutting it. Too slow for my editing needs.

And also......Macs suck. They look pretty though...if you are into that sorta thing. :lol:

Yeah they suck, and dont give me the "its much more reliable bull****" and it has no virus and its faster for editing. its not true.

1400 $ buck for a macbook with a intelcore duo, 4 gig of memory 320 gig of hard drive and a cheap ass video card and a 13 inch screen? comom, you can get this crap for 350 dolllard at walllmart.

Hardware rate failure is the same as a pc and it cost double to replace them. why would you do that.

Last edited:
All that for that price. Looks like it's time to build my next computer...which is another reason to love window's over mac.

Yeah they suck, and dont give me the "its much more reliable bull****" and it has no virus and its faster for editing. its not true.

1400 $ buck for a macbook with a intelcore duo, 4 gig of memory 320 gig of hard drive and a cheap ass video card and a 13 inch screen? comom, you can get this crap for 350 dolllard at walllmart.

Hardware rate failure is the same as a pc and it cost double to replace them. why would you do that.

I have a 13" macbook pro, love mine. Haven't had one issue in the 2 years I've owned it. Plus, it feels a million times sturdier than my wifes HP, which has gone to hell in a handbasket quick lol.

Of course, I didn't buy all the upgrades through apple. I upgraded to 4gb ram for 60 bucks and went from 120gb hd to a 500gb hdd on my own.

I have a 13" macbook pro, love mine. Haven't had one issue in the 2 years I've owned it. Plus, it feels a million times sturdier than my wifes HP, which has gone to hell in a handbasket quick lol.

Of course, I didn't buy all the upgrades through apple. I upgraded to 4gb ram for 60 bucks and went from 120gb hd to a 500gb hdd on my own.

Speaking as someone who uses Macs exclusively for a mobile platform (Macbook Pro), a Mac Mini for my media center, and a custom gaming desktop rig...Macs are extremely overpriced and are absolutely no "better" just because they're Macs.

The difference is Macs are made for people that are completely ignorant when it comes to technology. The iPhone is the same way (coming from someone who's used every iteration of the iPhone since the original). There's a reason there are videos online of 2 year olds playing with iPhones. Apple technology is made so that anyone can sit down and without having to study a manual do pretty much whatever they want. It's *very* useful for that.

Now, there are downsides too...Mac hardware is *no* more durable than any other company. When it comes to notebooks there are few companies that make *good* hardware (HP is one of the worst), but Apple is absolutely not exceptional. If you take care of the things you pay money for just about any company will work great for you. There *ARE* upsides though...Macbooks (and Pros) can hold out on a battery charge far longer, especially in Sleep mode. Even using my Macbook Pro if I'm in a Windows 7 environment (the most energy-efficient version of Windows thus far) and I put the thing to sleep for 8 hours...I'll open it back up to about 50% charge or less. If I do the same thing from the OSX environment I'll open it up with still 90% or more power remaining. That's with the *EXACT* same hardware.

They definitely are no more reliable...I haven't had a Windows or OSX crash on any of my devices in years. If you actually spend any time on upkeep at all you shouldn't have trouble with that kind of thing.

Price. My Macbook Pro cost me around $2200 before tax. It's a 15" with Core i5, 330M GT, and 4Gb of ram. My gaming rig cost me around $800 for a Q9550 OC'd to 3.6Ghz, 4Gb of ram, and a GTX 260 Core 216. The gaming rig destroys the MBP in every single regard. Now, I understand comparing desktop to notebook is futile...but you can get roughly the same setup in a laptop for $1200 or less...almost half the price of the Mac.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back