Looking for a first camera

I looked for a long time for a camera.
I too am interested in a lot of the same reasons as you.
The camera I found was a Sony nx5.
It is very easy to use and takes awesome photos. It has many features and is not bulky. Mine came with two lenses.
I bought it at best buy for 1100 which included the 2 lenses two batteries 32 gig card and a case.
For a small camera it takes big shots.
They offered me a 30 day trial period. So I took it on vacation and never took it back.
They also gave a class for this camera.
Try it you will like it

I love these threads. Everyone tries to hop in and recruit for their camera team.

I vote Nikon D5100.

I think looking for an entry level DSLR/Compact are best choice according to your racing interest.
Also that are come in to your budget. you have two choice Nikon and canon.

For complete package i suggest 1000 - 2000 bucks. Less than thousand just get "toys" haha.
g.png

Last edited:
I accidentally ordered a D5100 thinking a was getting a D5200, didn't realize it until I opened the box, knew I got a good deal on that thing hahaha so I sent it back and ordered a d5200.

I accidentally ordered a D5100 thinking a was getting a D5200, didn't realize it until I opened the box, knew I got a good deal on that thing hahaha so I sent it back and ordered a d5200.

There's nothing wrong with that. A Nikon D5100 is a great camera, it's what I've been using for almost 3 years, and you save a few bucks. But the D5200 is good too.

No, lenses are definitely not 1/4 the price. Great lenses for fourthird are also expensive, just like for any other sensor format.

A good lens always has the same price, no matter the sensor size, because archieving the high quality is what makes it expensive, not the amount of materials needed.

Also, he will only be happy he doesnt want to do the things that DSLRs are superior at - like children and pets running around at high speed, or sports, even worse in the dark.

Also he wont be happy if he doesnt like the current status of EVFs, and their various possible problems, like flickering under artificial light. Made worse by the fact he's going to buy a cheap camera and made even worse if he gets one that doesnt even have an EVF in the first place, only a monitor.

Also he wont be happy if the small sensor doesnt suffice his image quality needs - after all, these sensors already have visible noise at base ISO and they dont have as much reserves with critical situations, like High ISO or dynamic range, either.

As a simple to use camera with sensor based image stabilization, the Olympus OM-D E-M1 is great - but I dont see the money saving option there. Right now you still pay extra for less, or pay extra for small size and have to pay some extra penalties, like inferior AF-C (the AF-S of Olympus is extremely good).

As a general camera, I still see DSLRs in the clear advantage, and thats why I would also recomment it to any newbie.
Wow. Spoken like a true snob. I have both the 5D Mk2 and the Gx7. They perform almost identical.

50mm 1.2 L Lens is $1600

Vs.

25mm 1.4 Panny Leica(50 equivalent m4/3) $530

So yes. 1/3 the cost! My bad. Not 1/4....

I own both lenses by the way. So I know and can say performance is nearly identical....

As for your complaint about EVF... whatever. The EVF on mirrorless are awesome. Way better than heavy mirrored camera....

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back