Looking for a full-frame DSLR under $1,500

akaOvertone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I'm giving my brother my old Nikon D3200 and lenses for his digital photography class, and I'm looking to upgrade to a higher-end full-frame digital SLR. I have $1,500 that I'm willing to spend on a new or lightly used camera body. I have a preference for Nikon, since that's what I've been using the longest, but I'm willing to accept recommendations from other manufacturers.

Some things I'm looking for:
- Fast continuous RAW shooting
- Quick autofocus
- High-quality 1080p video (preferably at up to 60fps)

I'm currently looking at the Nikon D610, as I've found a seller selling it with a 50mm f1.8 lens for under $1,500. However, if you have a better recommendation, please let me know.

Get the D610. Anything older = maybe better AF, maybe a little bit more rugged / other features, but older sensor, worse ISO performance, worse dynamic range, less MP, etc.

The d700 beats the d600/610 in fps
BUT has *NO* video
and is 12.2 mp vs 24mp

those are really your only two options
I chose the d600 and I love it, though I loved the d700 too

Of course, you cannot buy a d700 new unless it's old new stock and then the price is a bit higher than your limit

Go for the D610, awesme camera!!!
Really very few cameras can touch it in its price range.

Only drawback of this deal is owning just lens which is a prime, consider getting the Nikon 24-85mm VR which is this cameras kit lens, very good affordable lens (used).
Had it, loved it and got it for a very reasonable price.

I was absolutely going to recommend a D700, until that third point. No video at all.
Do you have a separate budget for lenses, or should a part of this one be allocated to lenses? If the latter, you shouldn't buy any Nikon FX camera.
Why do you suddenly feel the need/urge to get FX equipment? More often than not, it's far from necessary, and often not even a good choice. The D7000 and D7100 (DX format) are superb cameras.

I got my Nikon D3200 in 2012 and gave it to my father this summer. Now I am using D610 with new Nikon 50mm 1.8G($200), (Used)- Tamron 70-200mm F2.8($1100) and (Used)Nikon 24-120mm F/4( $800).

I am not really happy with shooting speed with continues shots my D610 with Tamron 70-200mm because the buffer takes so slow after 6-7 picture has been fired. But, the sharpness for both 24-120mm and other lenses are just amazing.

For this full-frame you also can exchange both DX and FX model whenever you want. But the only problem is that it does not perform as fast as Crop Sensor Camera like 7D-Mark II or 7D.

I like sharpness, but I also like shooting in football games. That's the problem. Because I cannot have both.

The slow buffer on D610 just cannot give me that. So in the future I'm considering get a USED 7D or 7D II and get a Tamron 150-600mm for Canon.

This is my situation, maybe it was irrelevant for your topic, but I hope it will help. ^ ^

I'm currently looking at the Nikon D610, as I've found a seller selling it with a 50mm f1.8 lens for under $1,500. However, if you have a better recommendation, please let me know.
Sorry, but no.

Except the D600 is basically the same camera ... if you can find a trustworthy seller who has replaced the shutter, it would be cheaper and leave you space for more glas.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
D600/D610 sounds like your only option. 24mp files are big and if you want to even come close to keeping up with the max FPS, you will need a fast SD card. Looking for something 80mbs WRITE speed or faster. A lot of cards advertise being fast but have fast read speeds. The SanDisk extreme pro's write at 95mbs I believe.

I got my Nikon D3200 in 2012 and gave it to my father this summer. Now I am using D610 with new Nikon 50mm 1.8G($200), (Used)- Tamron 70-200mm F2.8($1100) and (Used)Nikon 24-120mm F/4( $800).

I am not really happy with shooting speed with continues shots my D610 with Tamron 70-200mm because the buffer takes so slow after 6-7 picture has been fired. But, the sharpness for both 24-120mm and other lenses are just amazing.

For this full-frame you also can exchange both DX and FX model whenever you want. But the only problem is that it does not perform as fast as Crop Sensor Camera like 7D-Mark II or 7D.

I like sharpness, but I also like shooting in football games. That's the problem. Because I cannot have both.

The slow buffer on D610 just cannot give me that. So in the future I'm considering get a USED 7D or 7D II and get a Tamron 150-600mm for Canon.

This is my situation, maybe it was irrelevant for your topic, but I hope it will help. ^ ^
Get a better sd card. Any other camera you get will be crap with the cheap card you are using.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back