Looking for a future companion(camera) =]

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by happyhousze., Oct 2, 2009.

1. happyhousze.

happyhousze. TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone ^^, i'm new to these forums, and recently I have been growing increasingly interested into photography. So i'm looking for a beginner camera, i've been looking at something i could afford like D60, D3000 or Canon XS.. At this point, i'm willing to spend about 400-500 dollars on a DSLR.

The sort of pictures i'd be taking are more pointed towards leisure photos, maybe some scenics, sports, and night time shots (like these: Flickr: chicago.'s Photostream)

I also heard that i should look for lenses before a DSLR? Maybe i should consider buying a DSLR as my last priority. i'm not sure :confused: It'd be great for any opinions or suggestions
    THANKS! =]

2. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What I usually recommend is borrowing someone's basic point and shoot digital camera for a few days and take as many pictures as you can of as many of the things you see. Before you drop a half a G on a DSLR, you might find that something more basic might suit you far better. And even then, there's some terrific p&s cameras that have a lot of the functions of the higher end cameras for a fraction of the price.

Fuzzy Zeller used to say in a K Mart golf equipment ad "You can buy the clubs, but the swing is mine!" meaning it's more about the photographer than his gear.

3. happyhousze.

happyhousze. TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's great advice DennyCrane! Maybe i'll stick with P&S camera's for a while ^^

4. Trace63

Trace63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe look into the Canon G series?