Looking for a good entery level camera

aemustoncarp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there i am looking for an entry level camera for taking action shots i am interested in a Cannon EOS 1000d but i am not sure if it will do action shots good enough can anyone help me??????????

It would really help if you told us your budget!

Hey there i am looking for an entry level camera for taking action shots i am interested in a Cannon EOS 1000d but i am not sure if it will do action shots good enough can anyone help me??????????
You need to concentrate on the lenses you'll need. That is where you'll spent the most money. For indoor sports you'll need a camera body that has decent high ISO performance. The 1000D is at the low end of that scale. It does have a CMOS image sensor which helps a bit but I think ISO 800 is the best you can hope for to get usuable images.

For sports you need reach (telephoto lens) and speed (larger aperture) if you plan to shoot indoors. You can start with medium speed gear but you'll be pretty much limited to outdoor sports.

Frankly at this point in time I feel Nikon has better enter level zoom lenses than Canon. As you get up to the pro glass I think Canon has equal glass and it's also a bit less expensive than Nikon's glass but Nikon has a killer sports photography camera body in the D3. Get one of those if you can afford the $4500.

Last edited:
You need to concentrate on the lenses you'll need. That is where you'll spent the most money.

Not necessarily... depends on his/her budget and a variety of other things.

Plus, I've always been a big advocate of buying a -solid- camera and some inexpensive flexible lenses early on. New folks won't see the benefit of the really good glass right off the bat, and suggesting they go out and buy $1000+ lenses can be daunting for many (based upon budget).

Not to mention, new people don't often know WHAT it is they are going to be most likely to shoot... often even if they have an inkling, what they shoot winds up changing and morphing as they find their niche. This can result in all that expensive glass they bought becoming less useful if it turns out that they bought the wrong stuff.

On the camera, whatever you buy just make sure that you are not overly limited by your purchases. Lesser cameras have lesser features. In the Nikon space, don't buy anything less than a D80/D90 if you can afford it. Go better if you can... D200/D300... D700 and D3 might be a bit extreme, but again it depends on your budget.

Nikon cams below the D80/D90 mark have very few focus points, generally no focus motor (making AF lenses more expensive and limiting what lens you can use), etc. Even the D80/D90 have a few limitations or annoyances, but they're MINOR compared to the D60 and down.

If you need to go older/cheaper, get a used D80 from a reputable dealer. Cheaper still? Look into D70S. Just make sure you get a good one in good shape.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back