Looking for a Good Walking Around Lens??

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I am currently looking for a good, mid-range walking around lens, as I am studying abroad in Budapest next spring and plan on taking tons of shots...I currently have the Canon XS with stock 18-55mm. I am also in the process of purchasing the 50mm 1.8. Please any advice is appreciated and keep in mind I am a college student so I am on a limited budget :(. Thank you for your time!

I might consider the Canon EF 28-135 IS USM lens... it's a nice piece of glass that's available new, used, refurbished, etc... so there's probably something that'll fit your budget.

Get yourself a Nikon and buy mine :lol:

Really though, check out the Sigma 18-250 or the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8!

Last edited:
I love my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It lives on my camera >75% of the time (a 7D now -- formerly a 30D). It is sharp, versatile, and reasonably priced for fast glass (I've seen them used in the $300 range). I think there is a new version now with Tamron's equivalent of IS.

I like the 28-135 IS BUT not on a crop sensor.

Are you looking to replace your kit lens with something better? faster aperture? what?

because 18-55mm focal lengths are ok as a walk around for a cropped sensor camera.

If you don't need anything really wide, the 28-135 is okay, the 24-105 is better. However, as usayit says, not on a crop sensor. maybe look at the Sigma 17-70, or another lens in that sort of range. The Tamron 17-50 is a great little lens too.

usayit, I guess I am looking to replace the 18-55mm cause I am not happy with it at all. The 17-70 looks good, what are everyone's thoughts on that?

I have Sigma 18-50 f2.8. Noticed a huge improvment Vs the kit lens when i got it.

If you can find a CHEAP (230 or less) Sigma 24-60 F/2.8, get on top of that. They dont make it anymore, and those copies that are out there go for a RIDICULOUS sum. It really is an awesome lens though. I can't imagine their new 18-50 macro is any less impressive (the reviews say it is not - but it is pricey).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back