Looking for a lightweight telezoom.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dipstick, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

My 17-55mm is my workhorse, but every now and then a telezoom is nice to have. So far I've been hauling around Nikons 80-200 2.8, but on some assignments its simply too big to drag around all day, especially when I know that I'm not gonna use it.

So I'm looking for a lightweight telezoom that I can carry on me at all times. So far I found Tokinas 50-135mm 2,8, Sigmas 50-150mm 2,8.

Does any of you guys have experience with any of these, or other suggestions?

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The problem is the 2.8
    If you get a slower lens, it'll be much smaller and lighter.

3. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok this is solely going on photozone.de so just a disclaimer i have no experience with these lenses. They both seem pretty decent, though they say the tokina is made with more metal and is heavier if thats still a concern. The 80-200 2.8 is part of their pro glass correct? If so you might notice a drop in image quality but cant say for sure. Like i said this is purely info from photozone not my personal experience.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What about the 70-300 VR?

5. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

Sideburns: Yeah, I know 2,8 makes the lens bigger, slower could work as long as it's sharp. 2,8 would of course be nice

photogincollege: Nikons 80-200 is heavier than both the Sigma and Tokina, so I don't think either of them would be a problem when it comes to size and weight. I did my reading on photozone too, but I find it a bit hard to judge just from "lab" tests and not real life experience.

Big Mike: Yeah, I was just looking at that...

Is the 70-300 a pro lens in build quality? I read the photozone review and it looks quite interesting. I'm mainly concerned about how slow it is, but maybe the VR would make up for it?

Like I said, the 17-55 is my workhorse, and I guess having a slow tele lens in the pocket is better than a fast tele lens left in the car. :wink:

6. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No, it is not. It is sharp, excellent resolving power, the VR works great, but the build quality is definitely a consumer lens with lots of plastic (metal mount though).

On the other hand, you want a heavy fast lens made of metal or you want light?

As bicycle component manufacturer & guru Keith Bontrager says:

Light
    Cheap
    Strong

Pick two.

7. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

sabath999: I want light! I asked about the build quality cause I never saw one myself, and a consumer build is fine as long as the optical quality is good.

Do u got one yourself? How many steps would you say you gain using the VR?

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I saw some actual test results from Pop Photo, where they tested the effectiveness of VR & IS and some of the in-body systems.
    I can't find the link though.

I do remember that the Nikon 18-200 VR had the best performance at around 3.5 to 4 stops of extra hand-holdability. The 70-300 VR is probably closer to three stops but that's not too bad.

9. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

Sounds like I need to get my hands on one to try it out myself...