Looking for a Longer Lens

j10a11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there! I am looking for a longer lens for my EOS Rebel T3. However, I am not sure how long of a lens I really need. I would like to be able to get closer shots of things like people playing high school baseball games, or backyard wildlife. Any suggestions or advice?

First question here is how much money you've got to spend - or at least a rough idea of what you're thinking of. There are cheap options and there are very very expensive options for what you're after - so some starting point helps a lot.

Another question that I would have is - how close do you want to get as this will also have a bearing on the gear you might need? Then, as Overread has said - what is your budget?

WesternGuy

I had 347 things to say but they all sounded like a dirty joke so I'll just second the what is your budget question.

You could get the job done for anywhere from $300 to $30,000.

A Canon 70-200L will do a lot of Backyard photography for you.
As will a canon 300 IS L series lens.
My favorite is my Canon 400 L f5.6 lens. I use it all of the time and I love it. :)

Big_Bull_Elk_resting.JPG

taken with the Canon 400L.

If you keep your eyes peeled you can pickup the Canon 70-200L used for about $500. The Canon 300 IS L used runs about $700 and a used 400L about the same as the 300 L.

Don't go cheap on your lenses! They are the eyes of the camera. You just can't beat the quality of a Cano L series lens!

Dick

Most reactions

Back