Looking for a new 35mm SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Guinness, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Guinness

Guinness TPF Noob!

I need some advice on choosing a 35mm SLR for college in September, the Praktica is showing it's age.;)
    I want to be able to use my current Canon and Tamron lenses if possible (see sig.) and want automatic and full manual controls. It's got to be on a budget and a used one is fine, i'll probably look on ebay first anway.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

eos 100 is not a bad camera, and is fairly cheap on ebay, has a full set of controls and full manual as well.

Oh, forgot to mention, it won't use the EF-S lens - thats just for 300D, 350D, 20D, 30D digital SLR's

3. Guinness

Guinness TPF Noob!

Thanks Tempra, if i buy an EOS 35mm camera, when I'm looking for new lenses which ones can and can't I use on both?

I like the look of the EOS 300.

4. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

On an EOS 35mm camera, you can use any EF lens in the range, as I said earlier, the EF-S will not work on it (you might damage the shutter) and I just noticed, the Tamron is Di so although you can use it on a 35mm EOS, it is made for digital and small sensors, and doesn;t cover the whole of a 35mm frame size, so you will probably get heavy vignetting on full frame or 35mm

5. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think the Di series from tamron are actually compatible with full frame...like i know the 17-35mm Di is, as I've used it before with great results. anyway.

guiness, what exactly is your budget? that can really help narrow down what you are looking for.

6. Guinness

Guinness TPF Noob!

:) I got the Canon EOS-300 in the end, it comes with an EF 28-90 f/4 - 5.6 II Platinum lens.

I've read up on the Tamron and apparently it should work on both camera's, also i've tried the above 28-90 on the 350D and the screen shows me everything I could see in the viewfinder.:thumbup: