looking for a new len

mikeandstevesmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a pentax istDL with a quantary len 70-300 1:4-5:6, the len is great in the daylight but doesn't take good pictures as soon as it starts to get a little dark. I would like a len that I can take pictures at night football games this fall. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good len.

Thanks

that's pretty much standard. for a faster lens you're looking at the 2.8 zooms, or below F/2 primes.
either way, you're looking at very expensive lenses.

Sports photography in lower light is one of the most demanding situations for photoequipment and the photographer.... there is a reason why sports photographers travel around with 10's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and get paid well to do what they do.

With that said... There can be more "affordable" (relative) from used and third party (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina)... you are still talking some bucks though.

With your pentax you are looking at a nice price tage to go with the lense you are looking for. I was able to pick up a pentax 135mm prime 2.8 for about $500 on ebay, but for a new 70-200 Sigma 2.8 you are looking at about 1300 CDN. For a 300mm 2.8 Sigma, they go for about 2600 US. Unfortunately in this hobby to have to have the cash to play at night. But you might be able to get away with a F4 lens depending on the light that the stadium has, and how close you are. A Sigma 100 - 300 F4.0 is 1100 USD at B&H....

Hope this helps, but not discourages.

Most reactions

Back