Looking for a new lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Happy4u, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Happy4u

Happy4u TPF Noob!

I'm to a point where I'm interested in getting a new lens. Right now I'm using the Canon 55mm kit lens. I'm looking for something that can give me a sharp focus. I've researched and see that some photographers use Canon's 50mm 1.8 or 1.4...would that be much different than what I'm using? Also what about the 85mm 1.8? I'm kinda married to my zoom lens, would I get used to a prime? Looking to spend anything around $400-$500. Any kind of feedback would be great! Thanks!

2. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    what are you looking to take pictures of? what situations? I have the 50mm 1.8.

3. Happy4u

Happy4u TPF Noob!

Oh sorry. I'm a portrait photographer. I shoot in studio and outdoors. I can produce nice photos with the kit lens but I've never tried anything different, so I don't know the difference. I was told the kit lens is very poor. So I'm to a point to be serious about photography so I'd like to venture out.

4. robertwsimpson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for portraits you can't beat the 50 1.8

although I have heard from another portrait photographer that the 85 1.8 is better. I don't know why though, as I am constantly backing up with my 50.

at ~$100, the 50mm f1.8 would be my recommendation for you.

here are some samples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Happy4u

Happy4u TPF Noob!

Nice work! Have you tried the kit lens? Will I be able to see the difference with the 50mm 1.8 vs the kit? Will I get used to a nonzoom lens?

6. robertwsimpson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    of course I've tried the kit lens lol I had ONLY the kit lens for like 2 years or more. I didn't really know how to get good pictures with it until recently, so I wasn't impressed with it, but now I quite like it. you'll be able to see a big difference, mainly in the focus effects that you can create with the f1.8. you'll get lightning fast shutters in normal lighting, and pretty good speed indoors too. it also has slight vignetting, which I actually quite like. it's tough to get used to at first, but now when I'm walking around, I see the FoV of my 50mm even without the camera against my face. Once you know what it looks like, it's very easy to line shots up and know what they're going to look like even before you look through the view finder.

7. robertwsimpson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have heard that the 50mm 1.4 is a good improvement over the 1.8 though, and it fits into your price range that you mentioned... something to keep in mind.

8. Happy4u

Happy4u TPF Noob!

Okay, thanks Robert! I'll check them out on B&H!

9. robertwsimpson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you go to google, and type in 1.8 vs 1.4, there are some pretty interesting articles on the differences between the two.

10. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have both the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4. If you are serious about photography, and if you are making money doing it, I would without a doubt go with the 1.4

But back to your original question. Are you looking for something to replace the kit lens, or to compliment it? The tamron 17-50 is a great choice to replace a kit lens with pro quality glass, however a nice prime is great for portrait.

The 50 and 85mm lengths are both popular for portraits, the 50 is better suited to wider shots, and the 85 is better for headshots, not just because of focal length, but because of the perspective distortion that is inherent with the focal length. Longer lenses compress features and this is more appealing in head shots and tighter portraits. Many photographers use even longer lenses in the 70-200 range.

If your kit lens is still doing the job for all around shooting, than I would look into the 50mm 1.4 to add to your collection, USM focusing, solid build, smooth bokeh, and super sharp, basically its everything that a kit lens is not.

The 85mm 1.8 shares all of these qualities, but is usually not suited for indoors, and the working distance can be prohibitive in many non-head shot portraits. But if headshots are your thing than this is your lens.

11. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow are those indoors shots with no flash? outstanding!!!

12. Happy4u

Happy4u TPF Noob!

RyanLilly ~ Now I can't choose. I had my mind made up that I was going for the 50mm 1.8. I did a lot of research and thinking last night. A few people said that both the 1.8 and 1.4 will give you the same results when it comes to sharpness and quality of a portrait. But the 1.4 is better built. I was on a website that did showed some comparasion and honestly I couldn't notice that much of a difference between the two. Basicly I'm looking for something better than the kit lens. Better in quality and sharpness. Would I be stupid to start with the 1.8 and maybe move onto the 1.4 someday? Then I could put the extra money towards other things I'm in need of. OR is the 1.4 seriously worth biting the bullet for? :confused: