Looking for a new lense

Wolff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
traciwolffphotography.shutterfly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been thinking about getting a new lense for weddings and family photos. My first thought was to get a wide angle lense...any suggestions about this lense or others that would be fun.

Welcome to the forum.

What's your budget and what camera/cameras will you be using the lens on?

Wider lenses are good for getting group shots when you have limited space...however, wide lenses will have distortion, especially at the edges...which can make people at the end of a group look weird.

I have a digital rebel and am not sure what I want to spend yet. Of course I would love to get something for around 200 but you usually can't get much quality for that price so I anticipate having to save a bit more.

I would assume then, that you also have the kit lens that usually comes with the camera (EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6)?

Getting a lens that is significantly wider than this...probably won't be too cheap. There is the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and similar lenses (12-24), from Sigma Tamron or Tokina.

If you want a lens that is just as wide as the kit lens...but better quality...there are several options...starting around $400 and going up from there.

If you just want a lens with great optical quality and a low price...look at a Prime (non zoom) lens. The 50mm F1.8 is less than $100 US and gives great optical quality (although build quality is less than great). The wide maximum aperture is wonderful to have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back