Looking for a new monitor.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by eric-holmes, Oct 12, 2009.

1. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    With all this talk about monitor settings and how they can affect your picture editing quality, I have realized that ours is really out of date. And to add to all of that, there has been some sort of drink that got splattered on the screen leaving little spots that will not come off.

So what are some things to look at when looking at a monitor? I would like to keep the price around $100-$150. It seems like they can be had for that price. Something like this? LG - 18.5" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor - W1943TB-PF

2. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got a Samsung syncmaster 2494HM from Costco when it was on sale (with coupon) and I am very happy with it. Only thing I didn't like was they also charged me $15 for e-waste fee! I think some stores don't charge that. You can also buy it online.

3. silentfallen

silentfallen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i believe all store now charge the enviro fee.. is supposed to cover the cost of disposal of what you are replacing, or so they claim..

4. Agoraphobic

Agoraphobic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, I would save some more money so that you can get something well worth your dollar. I know its technically a tv but I have a 26" Sony Bravia its large enough so that I dont have to get super close for post or viewing photos.

5. decado

decado TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly, you're just not going to get a very good monitor for that price, but if you're budget is tight I'd go with something like this. Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 943SWX High Glossy Black 18.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 15000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors
    Samsung has some pretty decent monitors for cheap, just don't buy at Best Buy, you'll get way overcharged, shop at newegg.com for monitors.

Edit: You may also want to try this, it's $20 more than you said you'd like to spend but the extra resolution is worth it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001313