Looking for a new photo backpack. Tamrac adventure 6 or 7?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by anubis404, Nov 22, 2008.

1. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm in the market for a new photo backpack for around $50-$60. The Tamrac 6 appeals to me, as long as it will fit my Nikon D70s and maybe a couple of lenses and a flash. I also want some extra space to store food and drinks, because I'm going to want to be going on hikes or long walks with it, and I want to be able to keep at least 2 bottles of water. I have a Tamrac Velocity 6X, and it seems to have slightly too little space. Besides the fact that I absolutely despise the velocity because its so uncomfortable and slips around too easily, it can barely hold my D70S with the 18-70mm and a bottle of water. Other lenses are out of the question, and I might want to carry another lens and my nifty fiftey if I buy one.

I've been eyeing the Tamrac Adventure 6. It seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if it will be enough space. Should I spend extra and get the Adventure 7? It must be a backpack because I'm going to be doing a lot of biking with it. Is there another good backpack in that price range that you'd reccomend over the Adventure (such as the Lowepro CompuDayPack or the LowePro Rover AWII)?

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 2 bags that you mention are very much similar... the 6 holds camera 2 lens and a flash and the 7 camera 3 lens and flash... size wise there basically the same bag.. drinks and snacks look like they could be stored in the top part of either bag.. so my personal preference would be the 7, because it holds a little bit more, which means there is room for getting a new lens, or something.. where as the 6.. well if you just have one, there is room to grow with one lens.. but then you'd need a new bag after that

3. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Make sure you get a back with PLENTY of protection for the camera.

Just wait until a water bottle gets squished anywhere near your nice camera equipment.

4. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sure both bags have plenty of protection. Chris, is that 2 lenses including the one mounted on the camera, or two lenses besides the one mounted? I just checked out the 6 at my local Circut City, and it seems pretty nice. It seems like I could definitely fit a lens or two and a flash more, even with my seemingly large D70. If I can snag a 7 on ebay for $15 more or so, I think I will.

5. Noob7_0

Noob7_0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the 6, it holds my 50-200, a 50mm, and K10D with 16-45mmm attached. I have to put my flash in the upper compartment. I would recommend looking at something bigger if you want to carry of all that

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not really sure, i was just going by the image on the website.. looks like one attached and 2 others... as you see, thers one on the camera, one behind the flash, and a small one on the left.

[​IMG]

7. Noob7_0

Noob7_0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yah Im not able to do that with mine, mind you my flash is taller then that.

8. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That seems OK. It gives me room for about one more lens, maybe two if I store my nifty fiftey in the top compartment.

I'm still going to try to find a 7 in my price range though.

EDIT: Oops, that does seem to be the seven. That seems like a good amount of space. I think the 6 holds the same number of lenses and flashes (or flash), but it seems like its designed for a compact SLR. My D70 doesn't meet that criteria. I think I'm going to go for the 7.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the SLR that is modeling in this picture has no top screen. Looks like a D40, D60, or an XT.

9. roadkill

roadkill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pack for my gear is nothing I would ever skimp on. That's your gear. Waterproofing and impact resistance are my top priorities, as well as room.